Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

[Locked] "Unicorn" Movie: News and general discussion

Page  Page 4 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  62  63  64  65  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#31 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 00:05
I remember reading a while back - I think on the official Tintin site - that in the 1980s, Spielberg was actually toying around with the idea of shooting Tintin in the Congo. However, it was going to be rewritten to the extent of being a new story, with Tintin intervening to save animals instead of wiping them out them wholesale. I think the boy who played Elliot in ET was put forward as a possible candidate, but obviously he'd be a bit old now (in his 30s, I'd imagine). There was also going to be a love interest for Tintin.

It's a shame that Congo, when being redrawn, wasn't rewritten too ; there was so much potential for an adventure in the depths of Africa.
number1fan
#32 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 13:28
Tintin in the Congo would make a good movie as it would be something different - who cares about the racial drawings, it's only a book?
What about the Black Island Ellipse cartoon? It shows the British as silly, like the bloke who nearly runs Tintin over - he talks and look like an idiot, so it's just the same.
People are so scared about being a bit racist - if it ever gets made into a film (which I don't think it will be), great!

Moderator Note: Phew! Where to start?
A lot of people care about the depiction of race and racism; there's a world of a difference between depicting someone's actions as silly, and portraying aspects of ethnicity in a manner which has been used to denigrate people for centuries.
Being racist has no positive upside, so whether or not one is "scared" of it, it's not something to shrug off or avoid condemning - and it's certainly not something with a tolerable degree: being "a little bit racist" is just "being racist".
The Tintinologist Team
Danagasta
#33 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 15:51
Tybaltstone wrote: What cartoon ever hurt anyone? Well, it's not the cartoon form itself, but the wrong content put in that form can be harmful. The Nazis used animation as propganda, as did other countries. If someone did make an animated Congo, it wouild have to be done sensitively for a modern audience, and I think would have to change from the original book. Even Hergé - I'm sure - would agree with that.

True, we've evolved since then. I would be sickened if today's authors hadn't learned any better.
I know that for Europeans especially, political correctness seems odd. Here in the US, however, we have at least ten times the ethnic groups who are all trying to achieve equality. My own, although we're the original Americans, still hasn't been treated as equals with the European-Americans. It's much more complex than "they thought that way back then, so it's OK to depict it that way now." It isn't OK at all, as we know better now. Respect won't kill us, nor would it be an injustice to the spirit of Tintin. Tintin is cross-cultural, and he's always willing to learn about others. I think we can learn a great deal from that. You'll notice a great example of this heightened awareness in Herge's work after Congo---it starts in The Blue Lotus, when Tintin is talking to Chang about misconceptions the Europeans had about China (and vice versa.)

Courtney
tybaltstone
#34 · Posted: 30 Jun 2005 16:02
Tintin in the Congo would make a good movie as it would be something different - who cares about the racial drawings, it's only a book?

number1fan - I think you're just being provocative. Books have much power - Tintin has had a great effect on us all here, hopefully a positive one.

Courtney - we're very multicultural over here (UK) as well (and I personally love the richness of this). Political correctness is rife over here, but there's a sensible balance to be found. I lived in the US for a year and felt the US was far more ghettoised than the UK. Sure, we have race problems here, but we're much more integrated actually (generally speaking). My own ancestry includes Romany lines, and I have very mixed feelings when stories about Gypsies appear on the news. I think Hergé did quite well with the Romanies though!
Danagasta
#35 · Posted: 1 Jul 2005 16:00
Courtney - we're very multicultural over here (UK) as well (and I personally love the richness of this). Political correctness is rife over here, but there's a sensible balance to be found. I lived in the US for a year and felt the US was far more ghettoised than the UK.

I have to agree with that one!!!! I do know that in some parts of Europe, it isn't that way, but we can hope that the UK is leading the way for those who aren't up to speed yet. I'd like to travel to the UK sometime soon, but money's a huge issue at this time!!!
The richness of multiculturalism is, for me, the best when it comes to FOOD!!!!

The US really is ghettoized. I think it was less where I come from (I'm originally from Tennessee, and we could care less as long as someone was a good person.) Connecticut is very ethnocentric like you described though, and I think people here are more racist. The stereotype says that Southern people (like me!) are all racists, but the opposite is actually true.
What places did you visit, Tybaltstone? I do love traveling!

stop wiv all this nazi stuff a book is a book tintin isnt rascist

Exactly, that's the whole point! Tintin wasn't racist, and that's one of the many things I love about him! In those days, it was so rare to read a comic where the character said "You can't blame them just because they're gypsies" (Castafiore Emerald) or put himself between a Chinese rickshaw man and the guy flinging slurs at him (Blue Lotus). Herge himself admitted that he "had been brought up on the prejudices of the bourgeois culture in which [he] moved." That really took a lot of courage, I think, to realize that you've been wrong for so long and do your best to right it.
Courtney
Richard
UK Correspondent
#36 · Posted: 29 Jul 2005 23:09
Just something I spotted on Ain't It Cool News : Spielberg was recently shown a reel by Peter Jackson (director of the Lord of the Rings film trilogy), demonstrating how Weta (special effects company who did all the effects for LOTR) could bring Snowy to life. So it could be that Snowy will be a digital creation, although I'm hoping that would only be in scenes too dangerous to use a real dog.

At least we know he hasn't forgotton about Tintin !
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#37 · Posted: 30 Jul 2005 10:53
That sounds like good news to me, Richard. It would seem that Spielberg is still considering the possibility of making a Tintin movie at some point !
jockosjungle
#38 · Posted: 30 Jul 2005 14:56
Digital would seem the way to go with Snowy to be honest if he looks good enough.

But I thought Spielberg was an Industrial Light and Magic person myself

Rik
felixgk
#39 · Posted: 30 Jul 2005 18:02
If another live movie version is ever made, I believe Castafiore should be remade to be prettier and more slender but definitely just as condescending and scatter-brained.
colombani
#40 · Posted: 11 Sep 2005 23:19
Why do most of you babble on as if you truly think it's a good idea to represent Tintin et al in the form of real human actors, with real sounds, backdrops etc? Don't you realise that soon after the release of such a movie, it'll be slated by all and then soon forgotten, incuding by yourselves. Tintin must NEVER be defiled in the form of cinematic art.
Every person has inside their own mind their own idea of how each of these characters are and how things ahppen in the Tintin stories. How can we allow a person to bring their own interpretation of Tintin to the world and to do it in this way? I personally am dead against a Tintin movie; the original ones as well as the cartoon movies were all terrible.
Why can't you Tintin enthusiasts just accept that some things are better left in their original genres?

Page  Page 4 of 65:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  62  63  64  65  Next » 

This topic is closed.