Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: not much of a plot?

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Kurvi Tasch
#21 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 22:51
I think that with this story, Herge takes a rest from the hustle and bustle of a mystery and made a comedy where the scene never leaves Marlinspike. I think that with this story, the characters mature a bit, even though the story is a comedy. As for the mystery, there are quite a few red herrings, and the thief isn't even a human. A very good story, and perhaps the most underrated.
snafu
#22 · Posted: 25 Mar 2005 23:36
Personally, Kurvi Tasch, I would consider "Red Rackham's Treasure" to be the true break from the other adventures. There is no reason to be anxious; there are no villains (arguably, there are references to the Bird Brothers just so that the Thompsons could make an appearance), no intense competition (like in "The Shooting Star"), or lives at stake (like in "Tintin in Tibet"). This adventure is basically a sort of break from other sort of adventures. In a sense, "The Castafiore Emerald" goes too far in being a break from other adventures because nothing really happens.
BlackIsland
#23 · Posted: 29 Mar 2005 02:47
The point of the Emerald book was to be able to keep a reader's interest without nothing happening at the same time but like shots in the dark. Just a serious of events, misunderstandings and the jewel actually being stolen bya bird. It is not my favorite but has it's place. Herge just wanted to keep peoples interest that's all. You have to remember that he was doing Tintin for a while and at that point Tintin was maturing as well so the stories took a mellower tone with the exception of maybe 714 (which is a good story by the way.
snafu
#24 · Posted: 29 Mar 2005 14:34
I feel that there is actually a funny irony in that story: Captain Haddock, who has all this time wanted to not go on adventures and to enjoy the peaceful life in the countryside, has unexpectedly found himself in the maelstrom of being near (perhaps too much so!) a super-star! Poor Captain Haddock, it seems that he never gets the peace and quiet that he so badly desires!
BlackIsland
#25 · Posted: 30 Mar 2005 16:51
Yeah it is ok and has it's place. The most interesting thing about it is they idea of the prejudice of the Gypsies.
I_love_Snowy
#26 · Posted: 31 Mar 2005 09:35
Hello, I have a number of questions
a) Who is Michael Turner
b) Mindless gunfights? - ummm have you read Flight 147? Tin tin is against violence

Anyhoo, goodnight!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#27 · Posted: 31 Mar 2005 12:46
Michael Turner, along with Leslie Lonsdale-Cooper, was one of the translators of the books into English, and also the director of Methuen (if I remember rightly). There's a fascinating interview with the two translators here, conducted by our very own Chris Owens.
BlackIsland
#28 · Posted: 1 Apr 2005 04:18
b) Mindless gunfights? - ummm have you read Flight 147? Tin tin is against violence

Well in Red Sea sharks and Crab with Golden Claws you see him with a Gun but that is only if it is justified. Read the books further and you will see what I mean.
Ramona
#29 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 01:57
the castafiore emerald was an adventure all right but at marlinspike hall. It just goes to show you that you do not have to be overseas to have an adventure, only the right people anywhere!
snafu
#30 · Posted: 3 Aug 2005 14:27
Regarding the last post, it appears that the biggest laugh could be on Captain Haddock. He's the one who always wishes to be back at Marlinspike and not "careering around the World" ("The Calculus Affair"). Come "The Castafiore Emerald", and he is in a big mess; he has what he wants (being at Marlinspike) but has an adventure there (Castafiore?!). Law of Unintended Consequences hehe.

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!