Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Ellipse-Nelvana: DVD boxset - order of episodes?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

fatwasp
#1 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 16:07
I just bought the box set of all Ellipse-Nelvana episodes and have noticed something that is niggling at me.
Each DVD has 2 episodes, and every two parter (bar Cigars...and Blue Lotus) is on one DVD. Unicorn and Rackham, The Moon Series and the South American volumes. However, the South American volumes are in the wrong order. I haven't watched them yet but they are listed with Prisoners... before Crystal Balls.
Anyone know why?

Tom
Muller
#2 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 17:30
I noticed this too. It's odd. I think they just didn't do any research on Tintin when they released the DVDs. But if you look at the original order of episodes (when they were shown on TV) you notice a big error. In Tintin and the Picaros, Haddock already knows Alcazar, but in Seven Crystal balls, which happens after Picaros in the serease, Haddock meets Alcazar for the first time. Odd and Annoying. Any one else noticed? The order of episodes should have been this:

1. Crab With The Golden Claws
2. The Secret of The Unicorn
3. Red Rackham’s Treasure
4. Cigars of Pharaoh
5. The Blue Lotus
6. The Black Island
7. The Calculus Affair
8. The Shooting Star
9. The Broken Ear
10. The Seven Crystal Balls
11. Prisoners of The Sun
12. King Ottokar’s Sceptre
13. Tintin in Tibet
14. Tintin and The Picaros
15. The Castafiore Emerald
16. Land Of The Black Gold
17. The Red Sea Sharks
18. Flight 714
19. Destination Moon
20. Explorers On The Moon
21. Tintin In America
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 19:26
I noticed that too...
Indeed it seems anything related with Tintin, be it the corpus itself, books, or DVD about Tintin, etc, show anachronisms, mistakes, etc...

Please see http://cactuscom.com/tintin/dessins/ciga15d4.jpg

that shows a well known 'anachronism', then compare the correct books' order on the real-life cover to a recent book about Tintin here

http://www.bdnet.com/zi/bdweb/images/15/9782203017153_cg.jpg

with the publisher's wrong books' order here

http://data.magicsquare.be/ouvrages/2203/017/2203017155_0g.jpg

Imho, the reason to these strange spatiotemporal* phenomena could be the clear line itself: to be read, this illustrated line must keep on riveting the readers' attention at any price...

* please see related threads
snafu
#4 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 22:17
Funny... the English-language translations were also not released in the proper chronological order. Why can't people more faithfully follow the true sequence?

Some kind of publication-time-frame, not spatiotemporal, related issue.
yamilah
#5 · Posted: 12 Jul 2005 23:53
snafu
Why can't people more faithfully follow the true sequence?

Must the original release sequence be the true one?

not spatiotemporal

I'm afraid spatiotemporal means wrong to you, snafu, doesn't it?
Muller
#6 · Posted: 13 Jul 2005 01:50
Must the original release sequence be the true one?
No, but the characters can't have friends that they meet for the first time, after they have been together in a story (Like Alcazar in Picaros and Seven Crystal Balls ;)
BrOwen
#7 · Posted: 7 Aug 2005 13:07
Hello everybody.
I am new in this forum, just registered. I am a Tintin fan from Turkey. Tintin was my childhood hero, and still he is. I wanna know something: What is the real episode list of Tintin series? I found different lists on internet, and dont know which one is true. I found something on www.tv.com, which gives original air dates. it looks like more accurate. But DVD set has different episode order. That where I got confused.
Thank you for everything.
Regards
BrOwen
Muller
#8 · Posted: 10 Aug 2005 01:31
the original order is:

1. Crab With The Golden Claws
2. The Secret Of The Unicorn
3. Red Racham’s Treasure
4. Cigars Of Pharaoh
5. The Blue Lotus
6. The Black Island
7. The Calculus Affais
8. The Shooting Star
9. The Broken Ear
10. King Ottocar’s Sceptre
11. Tintin In Tibet
12. Tintin and The Picaros
13. Land Of The Black Gold
14. The Red Sea Sharks
15. Flight 714
16. The Seven Crystal Balls
17. Prisoners Of The Sun
18. The Castafiore Emerald
19. Destination Moon
20. Explorers On The Moon
21. Tintin In America
jock123
#9 · Posted: 10 Aug 2005 17:27
That’s quite a useful list there, Muller - thanks! Do you know though if it is a broadcast order, or a production order? Sometimes it is handy to know what order things are made in, and it isn’t always the way they were originally shown.
If you could clarify that, I think the list would be a handy addition to the Nelvana information in the site guides.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#10 · Posted: 10 Aug 2005 18:56
I think the list refers to the production order - you can see by watching the episodes that as the production team becomes better acquainted with the series, the art improves. One only has to look at The Crab with the Golden Claws and Explorers on the Moon to see the difference.

According to Wikipedia's entry, mostly authored by your's truly ;o), the series was created in three seasons of thirteen episodes each :

Season 1 :
The Crab with the Golden Claws, Part One - The Calculus Affair, Part Two
Season 2 :
The Shooting Star - Flight 714, Part Two
Season 3 :
The Red Sea Sharks, Part One - Tintin in America

I know that Wikipedia is notoriously inaccurate, but I remember reading this list on another site that had all of the broadcast dates listed as well for each episode, plus plot summaries.

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!