Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

The Thom(p)sons: Who coined the term "Thom(p)son Twins"?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

tybaltstone
#11 · Posted: 24 May 2004 18:23
Did Professor Calculus ever carry out some early cloning experiments? Maybe Fondation Hergé have his papers as well as Hergé's, and we could find out!
Frankymole
#12 · Posted: 24 May 2004 20:02
I suppose the Scotland Yard detective bit is another fabrication from somewhere, as they are presumably detectives from the French Sureté

But surely they're Belgian, like Tintin? They wouldn't work for the French police would they?
jock123
#13 · Posted: 24 May 2004 20:55
Ah yes, em, well, errrr... Glad to see you spotted the deliberate mistake, Frankymole!!

No, I hold my hands up to that. I'd been re-reading Jo, Zette & Jocko over the weekend, and the Sureté get a mention in Mr Pump, and it lodged in my head. I don't know what the Belgian CID is called...

The existence of a secret Calcuclonulatoratron would go a long way to explaining all those similar looking boffins throughout the books, who must have been early prototypes.
The Thom(p)sons are obviously (slightly) more successful later versions.

I would wager therefore that the one who was Agent X33 (Thompson?) was the original, and X33 bis (Thomson) the clone...
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#14 · Posted: 24 May 2004 21:03
Actually Belgium's equivalent of Scotland Yard is called the Sureté (Sureté de l'Etat, to be precise...! ;-)).
On page 7 of Land of Black Gold, Thompson and Thomson receive a phone call from "Joubert, de la Sureté" (translated as Jebb from Special Branch), and also on page 2 of The Black Island.
jock123
#15 · Posted: 24 May 2004 22:10
Good grief! I was right, and I didn't even know it!
Well, okay, I said French...

Thanks for that, edcharlesadams.
Big Ren
#16 · Posted: 25 May 2004 16:37
At the Greenwich conference I noticed that in the Tintin and I film, Herge himself referred to them as "...The Thompson Twins"!
But I still don't think he was implying that they are brothers.
jock123
#17 · Posted: 26 May 2004 12:14
And good catch, Big Ren! That must have slipped by me. What was his remark concerning?
admin
Administrator
#18 · Posted: 26 May 2004 12:20
Posts concerning where Tintin starts the Black Island adventure have been moved here:
https://www.tintinologist.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=1&topic=102
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#19 · Posted: 26 May 2004 12:47
I wonder if the comment in "Tintin et Moi" referring to the Thom(p)sons as twins was what Hergé actually said, or just an interpretation from the translator?

To be honest I thought that the translation wasn't always up to it, or am I being unfair?
marsbar
#20 · Posted: 26 May 2004 13:37
Do take a look at the trivia section of our Characters Guide entry on Thomson.

In Destination Moon (last frame, page 18), Snowy says: "This is it!... Sensational appearance of the Thomson twins!"

I would be curious to know what Snowy says in the French original, as well as in other language edition books.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!