Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin film, stage and radio adaptations /

Tintin cartoon episodes vs the books

fatwasp
#1 · Posted: 6 Sep 2005 17:47
This may sound like a silly question, and in many cases it is, but are there any episodes of the cartoon you actually prefered to the book? I myself am not a great fan of the Broken Ear, in fact I feel it to be the poorest of the series. The Ellipse-Nelvana cartoon version however I find fantastic! The plot is explained far better and whilst it misses parts out of the book, these are parts which can afford to be missed. Any thoughts?
Tom
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 6 Sep 2005 18:45
Personally, I think the Ellipse-Nelvana version of America is an improvement on the book. The fast pace really suits the plot in my opinion. I also think the cartoon version of Picaros is better than its book equivalent - as they re-introduced Tintin's plus-fours ! ;o)

On the other hand, I think The Shooting Star episode of the series is far worse than the book. It just seemed to me to be too rushed, and left out plot strands which I enjoyed in the book.
Muller
#3 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 01:42
The Ellips-Nelvana version of Picaros is far better than the book, also America. The book is plain boring and drags. Also the cartoon version of Crab with the Golden Claws is an implovement from the book. The book version of Blue Lotus, Calculus Affair, Red Rackham's Treasure and Shooting Star are far better than the cartoon. I must also say, Ellipse-Nelvana made a great job with The Black Island, Flight 714 and The Red Sea Sharks. I also I like the cartoon version of the moon stories, except Haddock drinking a cold drink instead of whisky on the rocked. What was that by the way?? Wasn't he allowed to drink alcohol? That can't be cause he did it in Crab, Calculus Affair and Picaros.
tintinuk
Moderator Emeritus
#4 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 09:04
In the English version, I'm almost certain it's whisky. Next time I've watched it, I'll let you know for certain.
I_love_Snowy
#5 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 10:21
In every case, Tintin or otherwise, books always beat movies and such, there is no doubt...
snafu
#6 · Posted: 7 Sep 2005 19:44
I don't know about Ellipse-Nelvana, but what I do know is that the books are better than the stuff that comes out of Belvision. I saw their take on The Black Island, and, guessing that this was their style (which was to really deviate from the books), stopped watching the cartoons after finishing the story (gotta give it a chance, you know).

At the the end of the day, the books beat the movies or cartoons simply because what is captured in print can't necessarily be replicated in physical form, which is what is exactly happening with Tintin.
Muller
#7 · Posted: 8 Sep 2005 01:49
In the English version, I'm almost certain it's whisky. Next time I've watched it, I'll let you know for certain.
Check it out. Whiskey is normally not kept in the refridgerator ;) Maybe it's different in space :)
olzen
#8 · Posted: 20 Nov 2005 10:44
In the Danish dub, Haddock clearly says "Waste of whisky!" at the end of this scene. As for the fridge, Haddock may just like his whisky cold. Heck, my dad likes cold red wine ;)

Generally, the Danish dub seems to be less censored. I've heard several people say that the subject in "The Red Sea Sharks" has been changed from slavery to illegal immigration, but in the Danish dub, the references to slavery are preserved! So I guess the treatment Haddock's drinking and such has more to do with the censorship of the individual countries than what was originally intended in the cartoons.
aliamerjee
#9 · Posted: 5 Dec 2005 11:03
I don't find any of the books boring.The broken year is probably one of the most exciting of the series.As for the videos only the Ellipse-Nelvana videos are very accurate but do overlook some of the vital aspects of the plot and give you a synopsis of the adventure.I'd prefer the books though...
JuvenileTintinFan
#10 · Posted: 8 Dec 2005 12:22
I agree. The books outline the finer details of the plot, and the humour seems more realistic to me when it's on the page. However, the televison series are somehow more quick and easy to understand, and I love the theme music! Though I was kind of disappointed with 'Tintin in America,' how they cut out the part with the Red Indians...

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!