Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Björn Karlström: "Biggles" series from Hodder & Stoughton

rastapopoulos
#1 · Posted: 25 May 2004 21:18
I've just got hold of The Rainbow Orchid, and it looks really great! Very much inspired by Hergé, it's the sort of comic I want to see on the market. It's good enough to put along side my collection.

Speaking of which, have you ever come across Björn Karlström's Biggles series?

Here's the lambiek.com Björn Karlström biography.

I found Biggles and the Menace from Space(1979) and Biggles and the Tiger (1981) (published in England by Hodder & Stoughton) in a flea market in Devon.
These are the only two I have ever seen and if anyone could direct me in the direction of more it would be appreciated. The artwork is very reminisent of Hergé's stlye, even to the extent of direct copying. Biggles looks identical to Skut, The wing commander is exactly the same as Spalding. They are books worth looking up for any Tintinologist. The similarites are remarkable, but it did not deter me from reading them, they were very interesting.

Has anyone else read any of the Karlström Biggles series? I would like to hear your views.

Moderator Note:
There were another two in the series by Karlström, which ran (Swedish publication order):
Book 1. Biggles and the Saragasso Triangle (1977) and
Book 2. Biggles and the Golden Bird (1978)
Book 3. Biggles and the Tiger (1978)
Book 4. Biggles and the Menace from Space (1979)

The series then was taken over by Stig Stjernvik & Jerk Sander:

Book 5. Biggles in the Kalahari (1982)
Book 6. Biggles and the Gibraltar Bomb (1983)
Book 7. Den Hemliga Eskadern [The Secret Squadron - not translated or published by Hodder & Stoughton] (1984)
nestor
#2 · Posted: 29 Jul 2004 06:37
rastapopoulos:
The artwork is very reminisent of Hergé's stlye, even to the extent of direct copying. Biggles looks identical to Skut, The wing commander is exactly the same as Spalding.

Yes! Snap! I was just about to start a thread to see if anyone had seen these Biggles books!
I have The Sargasso Triangle and it was a hand-me-down from my father. It's the only one I've ever seen, but I'd love to read some more.
Very Hergé-inspired in my opinion, but great in their own right!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!