Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Tumtum, a naughty Tintin parody!

colombani
#1 · Posted: 10 Sep 2005 21:23
I remember around 15 years ago, I saw a two-page cartoon in England done in exactly the same style as the Tintin comics, featuring a parody character called Tumtum. He is actually representing what Tintin would be like as over 60, overweight, alcoholic and debauched! He has a beer belly, visits prostitutes, Snowy (known here as Slushy) is shown pissing in the street, as is his owner. Captain Haddock is also parodied here shamefully as an aged retired sea captain who wears black leather clothes and peaked cap and frequents gay bars, sporting a tatoo on his arm saying 'R Jim Lad'!
This is absolutely true, I swear! I have seen this parody comic and it was actually very well illustrated with excellent colourwork. Unfortunately, I have completley lost track where I saw it. No doubt, it was an adult magazine in the 'Viz' magazine mould. I would be grateful if any other fan out there can confirm that they have also seen it or, even better, know of the artist.
Karaboudjan
#2 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 11:38
Sounds a bit like the Spitting Image take-off, when Tintin (who's lost touch with the rest of the gang and hasn't seen them for years) returns to the fold only to find Archie as an ageing gay Lothario of the type described.
Tintinrulz
#3 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 12:56
I've heard of it, but why bother with that crap? Tintin and Haddock aren't gay so let's leave it at that. Thanks
snafu
#4 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 15:58
Never heard of it. Did it cause the same sort of uproar that Breaking Free and Tintin in Thailand did? Based on the information given, it faintly reminds me of what I saw in Tintin in Thailand, except that there it was Tintin that was gay and that everyone was visiting red-light districts...

FYI: "Tum-Tum" was also a derogatory nickname of Edward VII, who was horizontally challenged. Perhaps also an attack on British culture with all its fattening food and drinks?
colombani
#5 · Posted: 12 Sep 2005 17:06
Thanks snafu. After checking around on the net I found out that it's a piece of art by a graphic designer called Rian Hughes and the piece is called 'TumTum and the Forged Expenses'. He's also done apparently a great parody comic of Dan Dare.
Karaboudjan
#6 · Posted: 15 Sep 2005 12:06
I agree with Tintinrulz. Yes, sleazy takeoffs are fun in a snicker-snicker type way, but why bother when the originals are incomparably better?
danceswithshrimp
#7 · Posted: 17 Sep 2005 02:09
Speaking of parodies - National Lampoon's April 1984 issue had a bit called "TinTin in Lebannon." It was done in the same artistic style and had TinTin visiting Beruit "to get to the bottom of the situation." It was rather humorous, in a dark way.
colombani
#8 · Posted: 17 Sep 2005 14:35
I don't think it's a case of comparing these parodies with the original stories, Karaboudjan. Of course, everyone knows that the originals are irreplaceable gems.
Tintin in Thailand is simply sleazy amateur trash, but this particular parody (Tumtum) is actually in itself a work of art and well accomplished. We all love Tintin, and as long as you can distinguish between pure sleaze and art, then there's no need to feel threatened. Equally, even Rodier's Alph-Art is a parody, because everything not done by or sanctioned by Herge himself essentially is that and always will be.
snafu
#9 · Posted: 17 Sep 2005 22:03
but this particular parody (Tumtum) is actually in itself a work of art and well accomplished. ~colombani

I don't know. Herge did not touch on any sexual dialogue the way this picture did, so this work may be more "sleazy" than what some might call works of art (there are other threads that concern with other things that potentially count as works of art. Unfortunately, Tintin's true spirit isn't always retained). At any rate, sex and Tintin characters don't go hand-in-hand...
jock123
#10 · Posted: 19 Sep 2005 21:17
colombani
even Rodier's Alph-Art is a parody, because everything not done by or sanctioned by Herge himself essentially is that and always will be.

No, there is a definite meaning for what constitutes a parody ("a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way"), and Rodier's is not in any way parodic. Parody is to a certain extent allowed under international copyright law.
Rodier simply attempted to continue Hergé's story in Hergé's style - a pastiche - and distribute it, and that isn't allowed.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!