Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Wanted: Tintin in the Congo - English colour

pbl
#1 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 13:39
Tintin in the Congo is (I think) the only title I haven't yet aquired. I can't locate a copy in Australia it seems and Amazon.com has the black and white version only as the English version. Is there a coloured English version? Does anyone know where a copy might be obtained?

Thanks,

Peter.
Peveus
#2 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 14:05
As far as I know there is no english version of the color edition. Many people including herge felt the color version lacked the feel of the original and when it came time for an english version the publishers favored the black and white edition.

In Australia, Congo is being published in November this year, I know because I have a copy on order, lol.

Anyway, the November Congo's australian RRP is $24.95 which is the same as all 62 page color editions whereas Soviets in B&W was $39.95. It might not mean anything, I still expect it will be B&W but you never know.

I suggest asking at a Dymocks store to inquire (they were incredibly helpful in securing me all the tintin adventures a couple of months ago, and Congo was the only one they couldnt get within a week) as to whether it is color or B&W.
jockosjungle
#3 · Posted: 20 Apr 2005 16:57
No English version exists I'm afraid, but hopefully due to the complete non-reaction to the B&W editions politics with any luck a color edition might exist in the near future

Rik
pbl
#4 · Posted: 21 Apr 2005 01:53
Thanks both for your help.

Peveus, did you get hard back versions of the set? As stated, I have all the adventures now except for Congo. Soviets ($39.93) and Alph-Art ($22.xx) were recent acquisitions and are in hard back but all my other books are paperback from my childhood and are well read (and worn). I am seriously considering buying the set in hard back and having the soft covers bound in four or five volumes. My oldest child (girl 2.5 yrs) is already showing an interest!
Peveus
#5 · Posted: 21 Apr 2005 03:14
I actually decided to get the three-in-ones as they saved quite a lot of money being $40 as opposed to $75 if I had bought them all seperately. Alph-Art and The Lake of Sharks are hard covers as is Land of the Soviets, but what books they had in-store were all paper-backs for about 18 dollars each.

However, the Dymocks website has some hardback versions listed (http://www.dymocks.com.au and type tintin in the search field) so it's definately worth asking in one of their stores / buying online. I'm not trying to sound like an advocate for Dymocks, but before them I tried Angus & Robertson and was told no Tintin books could be gotten until 2006 and two weeks later I had all but one of them :P

Moderator Note: Interesting as this is, could we get the thread back on topic, please? Colour English-language Congo related stuff, not “Thrifty Hints for Building a Collection”! Thanks!

The Happy Tintinologist Team
Peveus
#6 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 09:20
It appears that an english version of the colour Congo is being released early November this year (in Australia at least). I can't be 100% certain, but the cover art on the Dymocks computer system is that of the colour version and the book is priced at $25 which is the same as all hardback colour editions here. Soviets B&W was $40.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 1 Oct 2005 11:13
There is now a thread running about the new colour English-language edition of Congo; it would be better to make any further comments there.

This topic is closed.