Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Broken Ear: Black & white version?

GSC
#1 · Posted: 27 Nov 2011 22:14
Hey everybody.
I just have a quick question - I heard somwhere that there's a black & white version of "The Broken Ear".
Is this true, and if it is, what are the differences (if any) in the storyline, between it and the colour edition?

Thanks!
mct16
#2 · Posted: 28 Nov 2011 00:20
There is a B&W version. It is the one that Herge originally drew and published in the 1930s. A few years later he redrew and colourised it into the version we know today.

It's available at Amazon France but I'm not sure if it is available in English yet.

Storywise, it is the same basic plot with a few additional scenes which were not included in the colour edition. It's entry on Wikipedia gives more details.
GSC
#3 · Posted: 25 Dec 2011 01:12
mct16:
There is a B&W version.

Thanks!

Of the two versions (the B&W and the colour), which would you say is better?
mct16
#4 · Posted: 25 Dec 2011 21:50
Personally, I enjoy them both, they are basically the same story and equally enjoyable both in terms of plot and illustration.

From an artistic point-of-view the colour edition is probably better, but the B&W edition is equally enjoyable in its own way.

I assume from your introduction that you intend to buy more Tintin books. My advice would be to just buy the colour editions for now, and then maybe the B&W editions just in order to compare the stories and see how the series and the artwork developed over the years.
GSC
#5 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 17:52
mct16:
I assume from your introduction that you intend to buy more Tintin books.

Yep. I'v just got Alph-art for Christmas, so now I own Congo and Alph-art.
dr01
#6 · Posted: 6 Oct 2022 21:02
B&W version in English found on Tintin shop. But it was sold-out.
jock123
#7 · Posted: 6 Oct 2022 23:38
dr01:
B&W version in English found on Tintin shop

There's not been a B&W version released, so it's unlikely to be sold out - was it perhaps an announcement of a forthcoming book?
Any links would be welcome, as this would be news.
dr01
#8 · Posted: 5 Nov 2022 10:27
The Tintin Shop in Lisbon and the Tintin Shop Singapore both say they list them - but say-out of print on or back-order.
jock123
#9 · Posted: 5 Nov 2022 14:22
dr01:
but say-out of print on or back-order

See my reply above - there's not been a B&W edition released; it might have been on the cards at one point, but it never came to pass. It's always possible it will eventually see the light of day, but it's been a long time coming if so.
dr01
#10 · Posted: 19 Nov 2022 10:47
dr01
Sorry only albums I saw available in English were in the land of the soviets, iin America, the blue lotus and cigars of the pharaohs available thru certain Tintin shops.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!