Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Calculus Affair: Is Fangio also mentioned in your book?

RicardoOlcese
#1 · Posted: 26 Feb 2019 04:46 · Edited by: Moderator
The Calculus Affair, p. 34, Spanish version, when the kidnappers manage to evade the helicopter, Haddock says: "¡Vaya tío! ¡Ni Fangio al volante!". Which means something like "What a fellow! Not even Fangio could drive like that!".

The question is, in your language, is Argentine racing car driver Juan Manuel Fangio also mentioned? Or does Haddock reference someone else?

Moderator Note: Another reminder to do a forum search before posting: searching for Fangio would have taken you to this thread, where the replacement is mentioned.

The Tintinologist Team
snowybella
#2 · Posted: 26 Feb 2019 07:12
RicardoOlcese

In the English version, Haddock references Jack Brabham:

"Thundering typhoons! They must have a Jack Brabham at the wheel!"
RicardoOlcese
#3 · Posted: 26 Feb 2019 19:48
Dear Moderator: Sorry again! What a clumsy member I am! I hope you don't delete/ban me. But I did the research, I promise. I searched "Fangio tintinologist", and found nothing. I am very aware of doing my duty before opening a new topic. Anyway, perhaps we can find the answer in some other languages. Cheers!
Shivam302001
#4 · Posted: 28 Feb 2019 14:19
Blank, it's just blank in the Bengali edition-nobody is mentioned. Haddock just exclaims at the obvious fact that the car had gone past them.

It makes sense because here we don't have much history in racing, and nobody would have recognised who Haddock was trying to refer to.
RicardoOlcese
#5 · Posted: 28 Feb 2019 18:52 · Edited by: Moderator
Shivam302001
Shivam! Shhhhh! Didn't you see the Moderator said that in English, Jack Brabham was the one mentioned? That should be enough to know. But thanks anyway.

Moderator Note: Trolling the mods is a battle with only one winner... Let's keep conversation civil, and on point. The forum rules accepted when signing up, and posting guidelines are always available for consultation...
The Tintinologist Team

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!