Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: Departing Romany caravan frame differences

jock123
#1 · Posted: 2 Nov 2021 16:24
I've always had a particular fondness for the final frame on p.47 of "The Castafiore Emerald", which shows the departing line of caravans, drifting away from Marlinspike as the dawn breaks - it's in marked contrast to the preceding frame showing the shrill police radio message, casting them as fleeing deperados.
It's interesting to compare it to the way it first appeared in "Tintin" magazine, which is subtly different. I've put the images on our Facebook page (where this post originally appeared) so that you can make the comparisons yourself.
The first version is in and of itself a great frame, but the brighter colours and the clear sky don't bring the same level of engagement with the Romanies that the re-worked version of the scene for the book, where more muted tones prevail, better reflecting the time of day, perhaps, but also giving an emotional depth to the scene, as the wisps of dark cloud still hang above them as they depart,as if to indicate that they may be out of the woods, but they aren't wholly free yet.
Subtle changes, as I said, but still showing, I think, Hergé's ability to finesse his work to great effect.
Balthazar
#2 · Posted: 3 Nov 2021 21:35
Thanks for the link to that. I've not seen the magazine version before and that's very interesting to see that subtle tweak adding so much poignancy. A great frame, as you say.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!