Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Calculus Affair: for or against?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

profcalculus
#21 · Posted: 12 Jun 2005 16:02
Personally this is my favourite Tintin book and I cannot imagine the grounds upon which any serious authority would take it to task.

It has just the right blend of familar Marlinspike action along with overseas adventure.

Nester's lines at the beginning have always raised a smile with me.

Although Jolyon Wagg is infuriating - its really quite amusing when Captain Haddock takes him down while pointing to the door. And I've always appreciated Herge's detail when Mr Wagg's & his family are leaving Marlinspike at the end and his hat features an arrow whilst the bratty little boy is holding his sore behind.

As for the comments regarding Calulus' involvement in weaponry; surely we could all imagine the typically absent-minded professor who is so very focused upon the intricate details of his project that he overlooks the greater possibilities for its abuse.

Captain Haddock is also very funny when he's spraying the mosquites and mistakes the helicopter for "an absolute whopper". Although the sticking plaster fiasco is a little contrived.

Finally Karaboudjan has mentioned that the locations in this wonderful tale can be visited; I would love to take the tour when I finally visit Europe - although to my knowledge Syldavia is a fictional country...can anyone provide the actual corresponding details? Thankyou in advance :)
Fungry
#22 · Posted: 13 Jun 2005 07:12
I think this happened as Sydavia may have changed since we first came to see it in King Ottokar's Sceptre and latter in the two moon adventures. The way Syldavia acts about the Calculus affair points towards communism. I am not sure whether it was intentionall or not but it doesn't change my view of the story. Over all I think it is something that doesn't really matter. The Caculus Affair is still a very interesting Tintin adventure with very fine detail.
sliat_1981
#23 · Posted: 9 Nov 2008 08:45
Only thing I didn't like is that we were worrying about Calculus so much in The Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun. It was such a relief when they saved him.
Then only a few albums later he gets kidnapped again and we have to worry about him again.
Poor Calculus, he never did no-one no harm (intentionally).
ZGDK
#24 · Posted: 9 Nov 2008 17:01
Calculus Affair is my favorite album, probably because aside from The Blue Lotus it's the most politically heavy (though that's up for debate). Syldavia probably had it's monarchy ousted after WWII.
The Blue Lotus
#25 · Posted: 9 Nov 2008 18:58
Not one of my favourites. The artwork and characters are great, I just don't like the story that much. I've never really been a fan of spy/secret agent stories or movies. I like the Marlinspike scenes at the beginning though.
Furienna
#26 · Posted: 19 Mar 2020 14:23
profcalculus:
Jolyon Wagg is infuriating

Actually, I kind of like Jolyon Wagg. Yes, he is very annoying. However, that's kind of the point. And there's a lot of humor in his interactions with Captain Haddock.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!