Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Who coloured the artwork?

castacalc
#1 · Posted: 5 Feb 2020 15:49
The only images I have seen of Hergé at work on Tintin show black-and-white strips.

Did he apply the colours himself (or via his assistants)or did the publishers add colours in?

I write as a would-be cartoonist myself, hoping to produce something in the Tintin vein.
mct16
#2 · Posted: 6 Feb 2020 20:25
Hergé may have done some of the colouring, but he also employed others such as Edgar P. Jacobs, Guy Dessicy, Josette Baujot and Fanny Vlamynck (who became his second wife).

I believe that who does the colouring often depends on the situation of the artist.

Early in his career, he may have to do the colouring himself or get friends or relatives to do it. Nowadays, of course, a lot of comics colouring is done by computer which is cheaper.

Be careful though. I read somewhere that an artist employed his relatives to do the colouring and they kept getting it wrong: a red-brick building was painted pink, for example. :)

Some publishers do colourise as well, but I think that that would be part of a deal with the artist. The publisher may want a more professional and expensive colourist in order to boost sales.

Good luck!
castacalc
#3 · Posted: 10 Feb 2020 21:20
mct16:
I believe that who does the colouring often depends on the situation of the artist. Early in his career, he may have to do the colouring himself or get friends or relatives to do it. Nowadays, of course, a lot of comics colouring is done by computer which is cheaper.

Thanks. I am surprised he'd trust colouring to anyone else. The effect of the strip can be altered by poorly chosen colours.

Would he or his assistants have used inks or gouache maybe - or even a combination? Getting large even areas of colour is not easy I find.

I've heard of using Photoshop to colour nowadays. I'm assuming the drawing is done by hand and the result scanned in for colouring?

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!