Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Q7: Where's 'Caesar' refered to, in the corpus?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

mondrian
#11 · Posted: 9 May 2006 19:21
On Objectif Lune, p. 57, last frame, Baxter says: "Alea iacta est" , or "The die is cast" in English. I don´t have the french version (or the English at home) so I don´t know how it is said in French (but I trust the finnish translation being faithful to the original).

Anyways, in my opinion the point should go to chevet as he found three of them.
SingingGandalf
#12 · Posted: 9 May 2006 20:21
Anyways, in my opinion the point should go to chevet as he found three of them

I concur. All I did was translate what chevet said into English. And where is the 3 hour ending rule? I didn't know there was one?
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#13 · Posted: 9 May 2006 22:29
On Objectif Lune, p. 57, last frame, Baxter says: "Alea iacta est" , or "The die is cast" in English. I don´t have the french version (or the English at home) so I don´t know how it is said in French

The French version gives "Le sort en est jeté", which means the same in essence but is not a literal translation of Caesar's quote. I considered this but yamilah said: "Caesar (Roman Period) is quoted or mentioned in four Tintin albums". As there's already a more explicit reference in Destination Moon (Hail Caesar etc.) there is still one book to be found!

Ed
yamilah
#14 · Posted: 10 May 2006 14:55
SingingGandalf
where is the 3 hour ending rule? I didn't know there was one?

I'm afraid I misread the rules, thanks!

mondrian
On Objectif Lune, p. 57, last frame, Baxter says: "The die is cast"

To be precise:
In Destination Moon, p. 59, frame before last, Baxter repeats: "The die is cast".

edcharlesadams
there is still one book to be found!

Definitely, yes!
chevet
Belgium Correspondent
#15 · Posted: 10 May 2006 19:17
Yamilah
There is a similar game on Objectif Tintin. The rule is after 24 hours without right answer (but it could be 48 or 72 hours) an indication is given to find the answer. You get less points if if you give the answer after the indication is given.
What do you think ? And the boss (I mean Irene) ?
SingingGandalf
#16 · Posted: 10 May 2006 19:35
I'm not so sure, it would make everything far more complicated, and this would allow people to either get 2 points for a correct answer, or, with the current one point per question, to get half points, after the hint. I prefer the:
1 correct answer = 1 point
rule.
yamilah
#17 · Posted: 10 May 2006 20:23
On the related 'Sticky thread', I suggested 1 correct answer = 1 point credited to the one who gives it; the rule could be e.g. 5 readers who want to know the answer ask for it after e.g. 5 days, a time that should be long enough to leaf through all 24 books!

In that a case, the answerer would be allowed to post the next question immediately if (s)he has one, or should leave his turn if (s)he has none.

What do you reckon?
admin
Administrator
#18 · Posted: 11 May 2006 03:00
Thanks for your comments, folks! Have a look at the revised game guidelines/rules.
yamilah
#19 · Posted: 11 May 2006 17:30
Well I suppose it's time to give the answer!

In Picaros, Haddocks utters The die is cast (page 10, frame before last & 3rd occurrence of this Caesar's quote in the corpus)!!

see http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/caesar.htm
SingingGandalf
#20 · Posted: 11 May 2006 19:38
I guess the point goes to chevet as chevet got 3 of them right, though theoretically chevet didn't fully answer the question. I think that people should wait till they believe that they have all 4 before saying the answers. The answers were:
1) In Destination Moon the English translates as (said by Haddock as he heads towards the rocket) 'Hail Caesar: those about to die salute thee!'.
2) In The Black island the Thom(p)sons said 'we came, we saw, we conquered' and attributed it to Columbus.
3) In Tintin and Alph-Art, Rastapopoulos says, "Do you know Cesar?" Tintin replies, "Err!... Ceasar... Julius?"
4) At the end of Destination Moon, Baxter says 'the die is cast'
5) In Tintin and the Picaros, Haddock says 'the die is cast'

Though this is 5 answers, not 4?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

This topic is closed.