Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Valuation Needed: "Tintin in the Congo" facsimile by Sundancer

calculite
#1 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 02:43
I'll never sell it, but I have a 1991 English translation of the 1931 Tintin in the Congo. On the publishing page, it lists as published by Sundancer in 1991, and the book was produced by Casterman in Belgium. On the cover, it says:

The Adventures of
Tintin
Reporter for "Le Petit Vingteme"
In the Congo

The cover is white, with an oil painting in the middle. The painting depicts Tintin in a white safari hat, in khaki clothes, with a gun in the jungle. He is standing next to Snowy, with a leopard in the background. Under the painting, it says casterman. The spine is green with no writing. The back cover is blank white. The book is complete Black and White, with no color.
The book itself is in extremely good condition.

Can anybody guess what the value of this book is?
Tintinrulz
#2 · Posted: 31 Dec 2011 03:43
I also have that release. I'm no Antique Roadshower, but at the most it's probably worth $50.
Rhods1989
#3 · Posted: 28 Jul 2022 18:07
Just to follow on from this thread, I have the same book as described above but also a second copy which doesn't have the Casterman logo on either the front cover or on the first page. There are also limited publishing details on the inside front cover. Is this unusual? Thank you!
jock123
#4 · Posted: 11 Aug 2022 14:35
I think the one with the Casterman logo is a later printing of the Sundancer edition, possibly by/ for Last Gasp?
The Sundancer "original" facsimile, as first released, is the one without the Casterman logo.
As to value/ scarcity, I'm not able to say, as I don't know how many of each was produced or sold, nor whether there is a great demand for either.
Rhods1989
#5 · Posted: 31 Aug 2022 12:44
Thanks for this! Yeah, I definitely think I'm overthinking this one. I don't think there's any real discernable difference between the two in terms of value/scarcity to be honest. I have somehow got a copy of each - the completist within me thinks I should keep both but I really don't need both haha!

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!