Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin collectibles (official merchandise only) /

Land of Black Gold: Methuen edition cover mistake?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 13:23
I wondered if - given that it was in the pre-electronic days - that it wasn't an error assembling a plate?

The text "Tintin" would have to be moveable, given that the name changes from country to country (Kuifje, Tim, Tintim, etc.), so the sky is in place and there is no knock-out in the blue; perhaps the "Tintin" just got left out, or more likely, fell off a paste-up in the job bag.
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 13:32
Well it looks to me - if you compare it to the "regular" edition - as if the entire title has been enlarged to fit the area. There is no gap where the "Tintin" would normally be and it wouldn't fit in the space available.
Rocky
#13 · Posted: 15 Feb 2005 14:13
Perhaps the designer had in his/her mind that that the arch lettering was "The Adventures of Tintin" - because that's what the French version has (in French).
olippold
#14 · Posted: 26 Jun 2008 18:02
15 May 2023 17:16 - Merged topic:
Black Gold: Title on the album's cover?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum as I only recently rediscovered all my Tintin books from my parents' loft (though 4 are missing) and have started re-reading them. One thing I noticed is that Land of Black Gold says "The Adventures Of" at the top, but nowhere says "Tintin". Is this the case for all English (British, Methuen) copies? The thumbnail cover on other books shows it correctly, but I know that they aren't always the same (for example The Broken Ear).

I apologise if this has already been asked; I did a search but didn't find anything.

Olli
Harrock n roll
#15 · Posted: 26 Jun 2008 19:31
Welcome to the forum!
The question did arise before back in 2005, so we've merged the threads.
olippold
#16 · Posted: 27 Jun 2008 15:51
Thanks. I have been "lurking" in this forum for some time, but had not spotted the original posting.

Also, thanks for the welcome. I got back into Tintin because I thought I could read them to my daughter (though she's just under 5, so I think they're still a bit old for her - perhaps Asterix might be better), and really enjoyed reading them myself. I also bought the books that weren't available in the 70's i.e. Soviets, Congo and Blue Lotus.

Olli
Tintin Quiz
#17 · Posted: 30 Jun 2008 01:30
olippold:
I got back into Tintin because I thought I could read them to my daughter (though she's just under 5, so I think they're still a bit old for her - perhaps Asterix might be better), and really enjoyed reading them myself.

Our older children enjoyed Tintin, so I started reading Tintin books to my youngest when he was a few weeks old. I'd sit with him reading and rocking. The first word he read, many months later, was "Thud!" soon followed by "Next Morning," etc.

The bright colors probably worked for him first, followed by some understandable frames (dog, cat, bird, etc.). Then he began to understand the stories. The rest, as they say, is history.

Meanwhile, the stories were good enough that I could stand to read them over and over. Try that with "Fun with Gum"!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!