Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other works by Hergé /

Jo, Zette & Jocko: Slapstick

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

jockosjungle
#11 · Posted: 25 May 2004 09:43
The natives were drawn as natives would have been at the time, cannibals, etc.

I put my point badly, the point I was trying to make was that black people were portrayed that way in Herge books, but a lot of the time when the books were put into colour the black people were simply replaced with white people. Which in many ways is more racist than keeping them in.

I can't remember but does the intro to to the book make an apology for the natives? I know there's one in the congo.

I think the books weren't made widely available because of their limited appeal, not sure why to be honest, I too think they're just as good as the other books. I would have owned them long ago if they were available. Maybe it was a rights issue, but I'm only guessing. Egmont/Magnet own the rights to all the others, so why not this one?

I guess he didn't want to eliminate the bad elements in the books, perhaps Herge didn't realise that people would dig up an old JZ&J story from years ago and publish it. And now they really can't take them out. It's also integral to the plot

Rik

Ps. if you like i can do you a scan of the first few pages that you appear to be missing
Tintinrulz
#12 · Posted: 25 May 2004 12:05
Nice website so far Jocko'sjungle!
While Tintin is better than Jo, Zette and Jocko I also think their adventures are underrated and very enjoyable. I have the Secret Ray now (bought it off ebay.com).
I have read Mr. Pumps Legacy, Desination New York and The Valley of the Cobras which are very rare in Australia, but my library was lucky enough to aquire copies many years ago.
Secret Ray definetly has a Jules Verne flavour about it. My favourite adventure of thier's is either Mr. Pumps Legacy or Valley of the Cobras. The others are very good, just not as good.
I've always thought a pet monkey would be cool, so I find Jocko very cute, funny and naughty (almost a different version of Snowy!)

I didn't find any apology about the natives at the beginning of The Secret Ray like Congo though.
jockosjungle
#13 · Posted: 25 May 2004 13:04
Thanks for the praise Tintinrulz.

I guess there isn't an apology at the beginning, I wasn't sure to be honest, just that there might have been.

I think Valley of the Cobras might be the best one, but I don't think there is a bad one by any stretch, I do love them all

Rik
tybaltstone
#14 · Posted: 26 May 2004 11:19
Here's a link to Jocko's Jungle, not finished but the info under the BOOKS section is all there

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jockosjungle/

Just had a look round the site - very good indeed and learned some stuff (though a couple of times the frames did strange things, I often have this trouble with Lycos sites - I'm using Safari on a Mac). I'm still waiting for my 'Secret Ray' to arrive, but am looking forward to it even more now.

Well done jockosjungle!
jockosjungle
#15 · Posted: 26 May 2004 12:36
Thanks Tybalt!

It could either be my dodgy website making skills or the ads that tripo like sticking in the site. It took me ages to find free webspace that didn't stick a banner in both frames.

Got a couple more bits to stick on tonight, a brief hisory of JZ&J for one and some info on herge

Rik
Tintinrulz
#16 · Posted: 26 May 2004 14:50
Hey jockosjungle!

www.freewebs.com has free webspace of 40Mb, (not bad) and absolutely no ads! Pretty good!
jockosjungle
#17 · Posted: 29 May 2004 23:15
Thanks for the link Tintinrulz, I signed up but won't move the site yet.

This site is really a mammoth undertaking; I found by pure chance while researching that the ship Normandie on which JZ&J go home at the end of The Secret Ray, is the same one as Tintin went home on at the end of Tintin in America.
It turns out to be a real ship and is drawn exactly as it looks.
While finding out about the real ship, I then happened upon another ship which was never finished being built called The Oceanic, which rescues Jocko from an iceberg in Destination New York.

They all link together with stuff in Tintin and in other JZ&J books (such as the Eskimos in Destination New York are listening to the radio at the end of The Secret Ray).

Every time I re-read one of the books, I'm cross referencing every frame when a name is mentioned, or there's a picture of a plane.

It's turning into Jo, Zette and Jocko: A Complete Companion!

Rik
finlay
#18 · Posted: 12 Aug 2004 20:58
The sequence at Vargèse with the Maharaja is one of the funniest in all of Hergé. The story after that is a bit disappointing.

Has anyone else noticed a photo of Captain Haddock in the Legrands' living room?

[Edited by Admin. Moved question relating to The Secret Ray to new thread. New topic created for 'Secret Ray'.]
jockosjungle
#19 · Posted: 12 Aug 2004 23:52
Never noticed the picture of Haddock on their living room wall, which adventure is it in?
Rik

[Edited by Admin. Moved section of post to The Secret Ray thread.]
tybaltstone
#20 · Posted: 13 Aug 2004 00:46
Never noticed the picture of Haddock on their living room wall, which adventure is it in?

Have a look on p. 33 of Mr Pump's Legacy. I remember seeing it quite a while ago and recently wanted to find it again, but was convinced I'd seen it in a Quick & Flupke book - so couldn't find it. Thanks, finlay, for reminding me where it actually was!

Also, is that a third 'Thompson twin' on page 30? The bad egg of the wider Thom(p)son) clan - perhaps one of the Thomsens. They were always trouble!

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!