Tintin Forums

Tintin Forums / Tintin news and events /

A new Tintin album to be released soon - Janurary 2019?

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

snowybella
#31 · Posted: 30 Dec 2018 00:26 · Edited by: snowybella
iluvtintin:
and not breaking hergé rules

Herge's rules were not to release books with new plots, not releasing new books as in "black-and-white books in colour".

snowybella:
There's already been two reprints of the standard colour edition, and the Casterman colour edition (the one I have) still seems to be in print.

iluvtintin:
Yes. that's because those books already been release. it's different then today. and yes. there's no need for them to release them again.

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick - you said that Congo won't be accepted these days, but I used the example of the colour Casterman printing still being in print as an example that it's being accepted, not to say a coloured black-and-white edition is pointless!

Also, it just happens that the Congolese themselves like the book...

iluvtintin:
you see what i mean?

I'm not sure, actually. Could you explain to me what your point was in that post?

iluvtintin:
He's says it. it's real. he doesn't like this book because it's racist and the animal killing.

Hmmm...I've never seen that quote - if you ever find the source for it, let me know.

However, I think that he actually said that when he did the book, he didn't know better as racism was everywhere (from boot polish brands to street names), and animal killing in foreign countries was normal (I wouldn't go as far as to say that "it was the laws back then", though). He just copied what was around him, so, as you wrote, it wasn't his fault. However, he didn't explicitly say that he didn't like Congo, so we don't know for sure.

iluvtintin:
he doesn't like soviets

I recall there was a thread at one point, where the other Tintinologists talked about how Herge did want to re-do it, but he couldn't as he didn't have his own edition and the artwork was missing (until one of his interviewers found it in a poster-tube near the Studios Herge lavatories...), but I can't find it now - maybe somebody else remembers it too?

Back to Congo -

iluvtintin:
or the congo

As jock123 has said in another forum about Congo, if he really didn't like the book, then he might have changed the plot slightly in the coloured edition. Either that, or he could have just left it in black-and-white and let it sink to obscurity, like his Mr. Mops comics. True, he did replace the "exploding rhino" scene with a scene of a rhino accidently almost shooting Tintin, but that was at the request of the Scandinavian (?) publishers.
Shivam302001
#32 · Posted: 1 Jan 2019 03:16
It is also perhaps apt to mention that Herge never really disliked Soviets. In fact, Casterman refused to publish the book for business reasons. At one point of time, Herge himself did not have an original copy of the book and went to great pains to obtain a mint copy of the book. To be precise, he was so set on the book that he threatened to take his work to a different publisher if Casterman did not publish the book, which they eventually did.
iluvtintin
#33 · Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:02 · Edited by: Moderator
Shivam302001:
It is also perhaps apt to mention that Herge never really disliked Soviets. In fact, Casterman refused to publish the book for business reasons. At one point of time, Herge himself did not have an original copy of the book and went to great pains to obtain a mint copy of the book. To be precise, he was so set on the book that he threatened to take his work to a different publisher if Casterman did not publish the book, which they eventually did.

I think your wrong. herge never liked the land of soviets.

Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:07
snowybella:
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick - you said that Congo won't be accepted these days, but I used the example of the colour Casterman printing still being in print as an example that it's being accepted, not to say a coloured black-and-white edition is pointless!Also, it just happens that the Congolese themselves like the book...

You don't get it but that's okay.

Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:12
snowybella:
Also, it just happens that the Congolese themselves like the book...

Yeah i heard. i hope they just like book for our history not for entertainment. i really dislike the book to be honest. i only like it for the history.

Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:19
snowybella:
Hmmm...I've never seen that quote - if you ever find the source for it, let me know. However, I think that he actually said that when he did the book, he didn't know better as racism was everywhere (from boot polish brands to street names), and animal killing in foreign countries was normal (I wouldn't go as far as to say that "it was the laws back then", though). He just copied what was around him, so, as you wrote, it wasn't his fault. However, he didn't explicitly say that he didn't like Congo, so we don't know for sure.

He did.

Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:33
snowybella:
As jock123 has said in another forum about Congo, if he really didn't like the book, then he might have changed the plot slightly in the coloured edition. Either that, or he could have just left it in black-and-white and let it sink to obscurity, like his Mr. Mops comics. True, he did replace the "exploding rhino" scene with a scene of a rhino accidently almost shooting Tintin, but that was at the request of the Scandinavian (?) publishers.

I don't know. he probably did for history and it was law back then. but i really think he didn't like the book.

--
Moderator combined numerous consecutive posts.
Moderator marsbar's note to poster: Continue to ignore the Moderator's request to stop making consecutive posts may result in your posts being deleted.
Shivam302001
#34 · Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:43
iluvtintin
It is a fact that I said in my previous post. So you cannot just deny it just like that.

However, it would be interesting to know whether you have got any piece of information to support your constant argument that Herge did not like Soviets or Congo, or whether you just feel that he did not like them?
iluvtintin
#35 · Posted: 1 Jan 2019 19:20
Shivam302001:
iluvtintinIt is a fact that I said in my previous post. So you cannot just deny it just like that.However, it would be interesting to know whether you have got any piece of information to support your constant argument that Herge did not like Soviets or Congo, or whether you just feel that he did not like them?

I'm done with this but if you info just look it up and search it.
snowybella
#36 · Posted: 1 Jan 2019 22:44 · Edited by: snowybella
Shivam302001

Thank you, Shivam302001! I had forgotten that; thank you for the input! To support his statement, I checked one of my numerous Herge biographies, and in Assouline's interesting biography Herge (published by Oxford University Press), he states that because of Herge's threats to take Soviets to another publisher, Casterman gave in and accepted, and that's the reason the Archives Herge (?) editions exist (it also happens that it included the black-and-white edition of Congo...). In case anybody's interested, it's on pages 204-205 in the English edition.

iluvtintin:
I think your wrong. herge never liked the land of soviets.

Which biography of Herge states that?

iluvtintin:
????

By that, I meant that Herge's rules meant to not release new stories (like the recent remakes of Alph-Art), not re-issue the same black-and-white books in colour.

iluvtintin:
You don't get it but that's okay.

You're the one who didn't get it! Along with the fact the Congolese like it, I used the Casterman reprinting as an example that it is being re-accepted! Could you explain how I didn't get it, though?

iluvtintin:
i hope they just like book for our history not for entertainment

The facsinating book Herge and the Treasures of Tintin (published by Goodman) states that the Congolese find it amusing because of how stupid the colonisers were, but I suppose they use it for history as well.

iluvtintin:
He did.

He did what? Do you mean that he did once explicitly say he didn't like Congo (the statement of which doesn't seem to be standing very well now), or just saying that it is true he just copied what was around him?

iluvtintin:
I don't know. he probably did for history and it was law back then. but i really think he didn't like the book.

Okay, so I know Herge didn't want to do it (Abbe Wallez forced him to do it), but if he really, really didn't like it, why didn't he leave it in black-and-white? Also, I'm getting confused at one point - what was the law back then?

iluvtintin:
I'm done with this but if you info just look it up and search it.

It would be nicer if you gave us good, clear sources instead...
Shivam302001
#37 · Posted: 2 Jan 2019 04:02
iluvtintin
I am afraid you will have to give something to back up your statements that Herge did not like neither Soviets nor Congo, just like snowybella and I did to prove you wrong. I did a search on the net and did not find anything of the sort, and I really do not think that your mere words without anything to back it up is going to cut it. I would also ask you to just mention the site or sources from where you garnered the info, because I did not know about this and would be thankful to you if I am proved wrong.

snowybella
You are welcome! :-)
snowybella
#38 · Posted: 2 Jan 2019 04:24
More evidence for the fact Herge wanted to re-do Soviets: in post 7 of this thread which I was looking for since a few days ago, the ever-reliable jock123 summarises an article by the esteemed Benoit Peeters (of Herge, Son of Tintin), where he talks about when Herge did want to re-do it, and then where Numa Sadoul (of the Tintin documentary Tintin et Moi) found the lost Soviets artwork.

He also links to the article in French, which may be of some interest.
iluvtintin
#39 · Posted: 5 Jan 2019 17:04 · Edited by: Moderator
snowybella:
You're the one who didn't get it! Along with the fact the Congolese like it, I used the Casterman reprinting as an example that it is being re-accepted! Could you explain how I didn't get it, though?

Why are you yelling? i said it's perfectly fine you don't get it. i'm not gonna keep this going if you don't get it. it's okay if you don't.

snowybella:
Which biography of Herge states that?

Just look for it. i don't have time to write a whole story to it right now. it's true he doesn't like the soviets.

snowybella:

snowybella:
The facsinating book Herge and the Treasures of Tintin (published by Goodman) states that the Congolese find it amusing because of how stupid the colonisers were, but I suppose they use it for history as well.

I hope so. i'll be very disappointed if they like this book for entertainment. so very sad. :(

snowybella:
Okay, so I know Herge didn't want to do it (Abbe Wallez forced him to do it), but if he really, really didn't like it, why didn't he leave it in black-and-white? Also, I'm getting confused at one point - what was the law back then?

Adde Wallez should be sued if he's still alive. poor herge.

--
Moderator action: combined consecutive posts.
Note to poster: Please edit your previous post instead of making consecutive posts.
Shivam302001
#40 · Posted: 5 Jan 2019 17:43
Abbe Wallez died on 24th September, 1952.

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot your password?
Please sign in to post. New here? Sign up!