Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: What is his hair colour?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

NikkiRoux
#11 · Posted: 14 Dec 2008 08:47
I've sometimes wondered about that. I used to think he was blonde, then I read some of the books and noticed that it changes all the time. Sometimes, even within a book.
dreamdust
#12 · Posted: 22 Mar 2009 09:00
You know how kids often start out with light hair which turns darker as they grow older? My father for instance, was born with blonde hair. In high school it was chestnut, and now it is near-black. I've also noticed that Tintin's hair becomes darker as the series progresses. Perhaps it's just a natural process.

I for one don't think Tintin's hair is ginger - the word normally denotes a reddish tint. I think it starts off as blonde, then darkens slightly to strawberry blonde (for the want of a more masculine-sounding colour... -_-')
NikkiRoux
#13 · Posted: 23 Mar 2009 11:20
dreamdust:
I for one don't think Tintin's hair is ginger - the word normally denotes a reddish tint.

Isn't ginger a type of brownish colour? That's what the root ginger looks like.
dreamdust
#14 · Posted: 30 Mar 2009 04:04
Hmm...I'm not sure, but I think 'ginger' is reddish (judging from a quick Google search)
jock123
#15 · Posted: 30 Mar 2009 12:41
Yes, "ginger" (when used of hair), is a coppery reddish colour - think Lucille Ball, Sarah Ferguson the Duchess of York, Gerry "Ginger Spice" Haliwell; however as the "red" of red hair isn't like the red of a pillar box, it shows that there is room for interpretation.
cigars of the beeper
#16 · Posted: 17 Jun 2009 14:04
Tintin's hair is always changing color.
John Welles
#17 · Posted: 17 Jun 2009 17:31
cigars of the beeper:
Tintin's hair is always changing color.

This a very sweeping statement. I was looking through "Flight 714" today and Tintin's hair is always the same colour.
mct16
#18 · Posted: 18 Jun 2009 14:18
I think Cigars means that Tintin's hair colour changed over the decades, not just a single episode.

Take a look at the two colour panels which are part of the publication history of Tintin's "The Black Island" at wikipedia. You'll notice that Tintin's hair is much darker in the 1960s version than that of the 1940s.
Harrock n roll
#19 · Posted: 19 Jun 2009 11:08
mct16:
Take a look at the two colour panels which are part of the publication history of Tintin's "The Black Island" at wikipedia.

In the 1940s Black Island the skin tone is very similar to the hair colour. It makes me think the hair darkening could have been to distinguish better between Tintin's head and his hair. I also have some black and white newspaper strips where another artist (presumably the newspaper's) has drawn little scratchy lines to represent the hair. In black and white it's less obvious where the hair is on Tintin. Perhaps there was a feeling that people might think that Tintin was completely bald, but with a strange tuft-like growth coming out of his head?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#20 · Posted: 19 Jun 2009 17:52
Harrock n roll
Harrock n roll:
Perhaps there was a feeling that people might think that Tintin was completely bald, but with a strange tuft-like growth coming out of his head?

Wasn't this how his hair was depicted in those 'grey wash' pages that Hergé prepared for the original version of Land of Black Gold? I don't have the books on hand to check (they're in the 60 Years... and recent Pompidou catalogues, I think), but I seem to remember just his quiff being shaded, or perhaps a little bit of his hair.

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!