Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Syl-day-via or Syl-dah-via?

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

finlay
#11 · Posted: 10 Oct 2004 14:35
Syldavia's an English invention, afaik.

Anyway, just to show off my amazing knowledge of linguistics, mines is [sIldevija] as opposed to [sIldAvija]. :P :P :P
Harrock n roll
#12 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 14:56
derSailer said:
It would be pronounced with the dah - to use the slavic-language-style (Slovakian, Czech, Russian) like Slo-Vah-Kia, or is there anyone calling this country Slo-Vay-Kia??

I think you're probably right although we tend to anglicise some place names - e.g Ro-may-nia and Transly-vay-nia.
Hergé may even have based Syldavia on Romania according to this article in French. [Broken link removed]
jock123
#13 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 17:00
"Syl-day-via" also fits well with fact that it bears more than a passing resemblence to "Ruri-tay-nia" in the Zenda books of Anthony Hope - a battle for succession and confusion with twins appear there too.
The French transliterated the country to "Ruritanie", so MT&LLC have sort of repaid the compliment.

And a quick thumbs up to Finlay for the phonetic interpretation!

Jock123 (MA Hons. Eng. Lang. & Lit.)
Harrock n roll
#14 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 17:41
MT&LLC have sort of repaid the compliment

I have the Eagle version of Ottokar (1951-52) and it is called "Syldavia" there too.
The translation is actually not as bad as I thought it would be and includes the inspired choice of the Thom(p)sons for the detectives names.
finlay
#15 · Posted: 14 Oct 2004 19:51
Just so you know: that particular phonetic interpretation (in general) only works for my dialect; people from other parts of the world might want to use [eI] in place of [e]. Also, I would normally put in more detail than that.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!