Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: Negative sides of his character?

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

jayesh_gokhale
#11 · Posted: 20 Dec 2004 11:09
I agree with tonicWater regarding black island episode. Snowy had actually saved tintin's life there.

Morover in Picaros,the tintin we know would NEVER leave his friends alone.
CuttstheButcher
#12 · Posted: 21 Dec 2004 14:52
First post...

The only negative side I can think of would be his lack of a negative side! But therein lies the charm...

Thinking about it though, I'd suggest...

1) His cruelty to animals in the Congo (Was that why it was never sold in the UK for ages? Or was it racism?)

2) His anti-communist zeal (in Land of the Soviets). I always think of Tintin as progressive!

3) He's a bit of a wet blanket sometimes. My brother used to tease us with what Tintin says in one of the desertic adventures...he comes to an oasis and lying down to drink the water says "Water, water, loving water" - which we always thought was hilariously melodramatic / limp-wristed...

That's all!
thmthm
#13 · Posted: 21 Dec 2004 22:35
This from the Pocket Essentials book regarding shooting star:

"How did the man (Herge, substitute Tintin) who so elequently defended the native Americans and the chinese, who only three years before denounced fascism in the "Sceptre" become a propogandist for the axis remains hard to understand. It did not have to be that way. Unlike the shooting star, the next 2 tintin stories, also written and drawn during the belgian occupation, did not concern themsleves with politics. Tintin's expedition is clearly an axis sponsored mission"

I've probably opened a can of crabs here and we can argue about the political "fog" herge was in during these times till our heads explode, but I thought that was an interesting viewpoint.
Karaboudjan
#14 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 00:50
Maybe this is just me, but I was so infuriated with his obsessive quest for Chang in Tintin in Tibet. Quite apart from the fact I have never liked Chang as a character, continually putting the Captain and others through such peril on the basis of a dream ("It's telepathy!") is simply not on.

There is a certain mulishness to him at times...
Jyrki21
#15 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 02:27
"How did the man (Herge, substitute Tintin) who so elequently defended the native Americans and the chinese, who only three years before denounced fascism in the "Sceptre" become a propogandist for the axis remains hard to understand. It did not have to be that way. Unlike the shooting star, the next 2 tintin stories, also written and drawn during the belgian occupation, did not concern themsleves with politics. Tintin's expedition is clearly an axis sponsored mission"

Not to divert the topic, but Michael Farr has some stern words for those whp suggest that the national makeup of the EFSR expedition was some sort of axis power celebration: what European countries, at that point, were not neutral or occupied?! Hergé had pretty slim pickings to choose from if he wanted to include some Allies, and the censors would surely have overruled it anyway. And with Haddock on board, Britain was represented in any event, taking the standard line that Haddock is British.
thmthm
#16 · Posted: 22 Dec 2004 03:18
I guess since the original version had the Americans as the opposing team to reach the shooting star..tintin's team automatically became part of the ...how shall I put this mildly - ah yes... THE AXIS IF EEEEVIL
Karaboudjan
#17 · Posted: 4 Jan 2005 10:20
Not meaning to be pedantic (although I probably am), but the passage quoted by Jykrki21 is not by Michael Farr, who on the whole glosses over any collaborative sympathies the Master may have had.

It's in that very disturbing section from the Pocket Guide (I forget who the authors were).
JuvenileTintinFan
#18 · Posted: 19 Jan 2005 08:03
Well, I guess that what makes Tintin so real is that in true life nobody's perfect, and it's the same in the books. Tintin does get angry, and is a bit of an 'adventure romanic,' you know, picking the tiniest excuse to travel to the other side of the world and spending thousands on plane tickets...
gnolles
#19 · Posted: 6 Feb 2005 14:23
Tintin himself doesn't have any stong personnality, he's just a smart good bloke.
The role he plays is getting smaller in late albums. The strength of narration is brought by Haddock, Calcullus, Thom/p/son and others.
snafu
#20 · Posted: 21 Feb 2005 03:59
Tintin is a rather flat character. I can't say much about him as to what he likes to do, his personality, his character, etc (unlike Captain Haddock, where a lot could be said about him). Hard to find either positive or negative sides of him, since he is basically a neutral characters who acts according to the situation (there are many cases where he doesn't manipulate Captain Haddock because it is not appropriate). In a sense, he reports the stories around him without writing for a particular newspaper (except in "Tintin in the Land of the Soviets".

Page  Page 2 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!