Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Most underrated and overrated Tintin books?

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

stuart
#21 · Posted: 22 Dec 2005 15:08
Fascinating that Castafiore Emerald is being cited as both the most underrated and overrated of the albums.
I hated it when I was a kid but as an adult, every time I come back to it I see new things in it. I now think it one of Hergé's masterpieces and great proof that, even at the end of his career, he could still find new angles on Tintin.

Another book I think is very underrated is Tintin and Alph-Art. It's a great shame that Hergé never finished it , his draft is great.

For overrated - the one that sticks out for me is Flight 714. It's not a bad story (the only really weak stories in the canon are Congo and Picaros IMO) but it doesn't grip me, I don't like Rastapopoulos (never have) and I don't like the Easter Island/Aliens angle either. The billionaire is a great character though.
visionary6
#22 · Posted: 15 Apr 2006 14:00
Underrated: Tintin and the Picaros

For me, it's only negative is the sideburns on Tintin. It's well written and well well drawn, especially the crowd scenes at the tobaccoists.

Overrated: The Crab with the Golden Claws

Generally boring, with the worst villian ever.
thompson fan
#23 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 13:52
OVERATED:
The Castifiore Emerald.The villain is too broad.
UNDERATED:
The Black island.
Tintinrulz
#24 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 13:59
Picaros? Sideburns aren't the biggest issue. It's just that Tintin is tired of adventures and he abandons his plus fours for flares! Ugh!
SingingGandalf
#25 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 17:01
Overated - Flight 714, it's great, but many say it's Herge's worst work?

Underrated - I don't think any are too underated but for me it's 'Tintin in America as I think that that was Herge's worst work.
Tintinrulz
#26 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 10:17
Um... mate. Overated means it gets to much hype and isn't that great. Underrated means it doesn't get enough hype and is really good. I think you have the two mixed up!
YYZ
#27 · Posted: 26 Apr 2006 02:57
overrated: I would have to say The Shooting Star (even though i gave it a 7/10 mark on the ratings question). It got a lot of high marks on that poll, so it shows that people must rate it quite highly. I think that it is a little bit dull.

Funny, I was going to say it was one of the most underrated - not often mentioned in discussing the best books, and it got a lot of fairly low marks in the poll, too. I mean, you've got to like Dr. Phostle, the giant spiders at the beginning and end, Phillippulus the prophet, Snowy in his bib and tucker, and the freakish events on the meteorite itself. Judging the state it's in it was clearly one of my favourites as a child.

As to overrated - can you really overrate any of the Tintin stories? They all have something good going for them. But if I had to pick one I'd probably say "The Broken Ear" - the plot doesn't hang together really well, the diamond that everyone was looking for was lost, and overall it left me a little unsatisfied at the end. But that's just my opinion, and there are a few stories I haven't read yet.
Inoni
#28 · Posted: 27 Apr 2006 07:00
Oh goodness...I'm so tempted to go through and list each of the books and their various strengths and weaknesses in plot, characterization, pacing, artwork, etc...but...um...that would take forever. And it would be difficult to remain objective. Plus, I doubt anyone would be too interested in reading that.

So! I'll just pick one of each category and be completely subjective! I won't even back up my claims! How tedious of me (but what a time-saver)! =D

Overrated: 'Tintin in Tibet'. Not a huge fan, I'll confess. I'd try to briefly explain myself, but my rambling tirade would blossom into an essay or something silly like that...and I have final papers I should be focusing on. @.@
Underrated: 'Destination Moon'. This is a personal favourite, from my youth to my (relative) adulthood. I've just always adored this storyline, the humour, the scientific allusions... *sigh* I'm sure I will not sway any of you with my senseless gushing. ^_^;;
jockosjungle
#29 · Posted: 27 Apr 2006 21:05
No I always loved Destination Moon as well, I always loved the long build up to what would be Tintin's greatest adventure

Rik
santoshb
#30 · Posted: 31 Mar 2007 12:48
Most Under rated is undoubtedly - The Picaros.
I don't know why people have made such a big deal of the change of Tintin's pants.
Also the fact that he didn't immediately rush of to Tapiocaville was just him being smart and recognizing the invitation for what it was - a trap.
His clothes never were part of the magic of the books.

I think Flight 714 was a book destined for greatness but at the end Herge messed it up somewhat with a rushed unsatisfactory ending. I never liked the character of the Translator. It would have been better if Tintin and co had directly interacted with the aliens.

Most over rated according me is Destination Moon. Even though the first part of such a fascinating story line
such as a voyage to the moon should have had me enthralled all the way there were many times in between that I lost interest in the proceedings.
Explorers did redeem the story some what.

And most awful were the first two books - Soviets and Congo.But Naturally.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!