Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Most underrated and overrated Tintin books?

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

snowybella
#31 · Posted: 11 Nov 2018 23:37
I think The Broken Ear is the most underrated. It's the one that got me into Tintinology! It also has a good story, unique from all the other books. Others think there are a lot of loose ends, but actually, when you think about them, there aren't really, and they can easily be solved. It's like solving the clues the way Tintin does it. Naturally, being the first Tintin book I read, I do have a soft spot for it.

The overrated one, for me, is difficult to find, but rrossk87 makes a good point at how, in Explorers on the Moon, they never knew how many stowaways were on board - assuming that once they landed they opened all the boxes to get the scientific equipment, how did they not find Jorgen?
weltmeister90
#32 · Posted: 25 Dec 2018 06:01
Overrated:
I personally feel the "Moon" adventures are overrated. People are fascinated by the science (and I applaud Herge for portraying things accurately), but Destination Moon in particular has a lot of filler material and too much dialogue. Explorers is better, but most of the action takes place away from the Moon - either inside the rocket or in space.

Underrated:
Shooting Star - People question the dodgy science but I found it a fun read.
Land of Black Gold - Doesn't seem to get much love around here.
Shivam302001
#33 · Posted: 4 Jan 2019 04:04
I don't think there is any overrated book in the series with each album being special for its own reasons.

However, I believe Tintin and the Picaros is a bit underrated. True that Herge tried to break new grounds in this adventure and some may not like it. But the plot was excellent, with several surprising twists and turns in the adventure that is not seen much in the other books. And plus, I like the modern-era setting of this adventure.
jock123
#34 · Posted: 6 Jan 2019 18:11
snowybella:
assuming that once they landed they opened all the boxes to get the scientific equipment, how did they not find Jorgen?

I think that - if this is a problem - is far easier to explain than any of the many "loose ends" of Broken Ear... ;-)
Obviously Jurgen originally hid in a compartment or object - inside part of the tank itself, for example - which remained unopened until they arrived on the moon; once the crew started opening crates of equipment, he was able (during crew down-time) to move from his initial hiding place to inside one of the recently opened packing cases: nobody was going to go back and reopen something that they themselves believed that they had just emptied... :-)
Shivam302001
#35 · Posted: 6 Jan 2019 18:31
jock123

As I told snowybella, Wolff was on the team of Jorgen, so he could have easily hidden him away from others while unpacking.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!