Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Tintin: his sexuality

Page  Page 10 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

miloumuttmitt
#91 · Posted: 4 Jun 2007 18:17
It is not very intellectual and chic to homosexulalize everything.

Not everything. Just Nickelodeon characters and Willy Wonka.
Donaya Haymond
#92 · Posted: 12 Jun 2007 16:31
This is an extremely interesting thread. Tintin definitely loves Haddock and Chang - and however he loves them, and I'm not an authority on that, I still love him. I used to be homophobic, but I made a very good friend who turned out to be gay. After I got used to it I realized that I loved him just the way he was. If Tintin ended up being like my friend - fine!
Karaboudjan
#93 · Posted: 12 Oct 2008 16:34
I've had a good think about this, reading through all these posts (never mind the last one was over a year ago). At the end of the day there's no "right" or "wrong" answer. If Tintin isn't explicitly stated to be straight then there's no reason to suppose he is- and equally, no reason to suppose he's gay. Every reader brings their own mindset and opinions to each story. If you'd prefer to see him and the Captain as an item, sure, that might add another layer to your reading, but all in all it doesn't really affect the stories one jot. The stories are what Herge gave us, with or without the speculation.
ZGDK
#94 · Posted: 12 Oct 2008 18:41
As I said in another thread, all the characters in Tintin are asexual, except for Calculus he just doesn't have much taste.
Mirirocks67
#95 · Posted: 13 Oct 2008 16:27
You know, after reading all this thread I see we don't get to a conclusion. Some may think he's gay, others he's bi, others het...
I think he's asexual.
Haddock, only shows annoyance at Castafiore.
Calculus adores her.
The Thompsons, I always thought they were step-brothers.

Also the fact that Tintin himself doesn't have that much of a personality, to say. Yeah, he's skilled, smart, charming, etc, perfect. But what else?
Look Destination Moon, he barely is there. It feels more like a Haddock-Calculus story.
So his sexual preference is also out.

Besides, why the need for romance? Will love go well in, for example, Cigars of the Pharaoh? Is it needed in these adventure and action comics?
cigars of the beeper
#96 · Posted: 14 Oct 2008 00:46
You speak well, Mirirocks. Tintin should not be sexualized. He is who he is.
Tintinrulz
#97 · Posted: 14 Oct 2008 06:28
Mirirocks, your logic needs some work. Just because I'm in my mid 20s and single does not mean I'm asexual. In the same way it doesn't mean Tintin is asexual. Maybe Tintin's sexuality just isn't meant to be an issue in the series (that's my thoughts anyway).
NikkiRoux
#98 · Posted: 15 Dec 2008 03:42
Shaggy Milou:
Actually, can anyone confirm Chang's age officialy? Ever since I was little I always imagined him to be the same age as Tintin (he certainly looks it), but since I've gotten back into the books some people have said they thought he was a child instead. Did Herge specify?

I've always assumed that Tintin was hardly more than a boy.
Professor_Tarragon
#99 · Posted: 10 Jan 2009 16:55
Who knew the debate would bubble into the mainstream news media?
William
#100 · Posted: 12 Jan 2009 20:31
Here's a direct link to Matthew Parris's article in The Times and this is a letter I wrote in response which they published.
They edited my letter a little, reduced my introduction in which I said how I was always much more of a Tintin than Asterix fan to that one sentence.

Moderator Note:
Since the above post was made The Times newspaper has moved its content to a paid subscription basis, breaking the links, which have now been removed.

The Happy Tintinologist Team

Page  Page 10 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!