Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Hergé: Rare English-language books

Page  Page 3 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Richard
UK Correspondent
#21 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:05
I suppose you could also count the abysmal "Breaking Free" - whilst not by Hergé, not really about the Tintin we know, and not especially good in any respect - it is admittedly pretty rare.

There's also the "Tintin Travel Diaries" series, those books aren't seen around too much (although they're not as rare as some of the other books in the list).
OJG
#22 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:12
I don't think Breaking Free should be included should it? I mean it's not a Hergé book.

I'd completely forgotten about the Tintin Travel Diaries though. Can anyone tell me more about them? Or would you recommend starting another thread on them?
jockosjungle
#23 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:15
Added Breaking Free and also the Tintin at Sea books (it's over, gotta be getting rarer)

Can you tell us more of the Tintin Travel Diaries, never heard of them before, what section would we put them under? How many volumes?

Rik
jockosjungle
#24 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:17
Found some info on them from Amazon and added them

Rik
Richard
UK Correspondent
#25 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:19
"The Travel Diaries" were a series of ten books in much the same format as "Tintinologue", featuring around thirty questions-and-answers about the country or region in question, illustrated with images taken from the Adventures of Tintin. The books dealt with : Africa, the Amazon, China, Egypt, India, Peru, Russia, Scotland, Tibet and the United States. I haven't got any of the books, but I'm under the impression they were aimed at young children who wanted to know more about the places Tintin travelled to.

To get back on topic for rare English books, there's also the "Painting & Drawing" series of books, published by Methuen in 1977. I think there was also a separate one based on the Moon books alone, with a yellow cover and a black-and-white picture of Tintin and Snowy in their spacesuits on the cover.
OJG
#26 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:25
I'd love to see a Travel Diary book (more than the front cover that is). Maybe I'll check out my local library tomorrow; they have some of them there.

Does anyone know anything more about the 'Action Playbooks'? I assume there's more than one. My copy was the only one in the shop and I've never seen it anywhere else, Ebay or otherwise.
Richard
UK Correspondent
#27 · Posted: 6 Mar 2005 22:29
I own the first one myself too ! I've seen two others, but can't remember which number goes with which cover. One of them has the Thompsons leaping about from "Red Rackham's Treasure", when one of them has been bitten on the toe by a crab; the other has Haddock dressed up as the knight from "Destination Moon". I'm not sure whether there were any more than three volumes, but they're based on French ones (I can't remember the titles, unfortunately).

There's something else that I mentioned to Oliver a while back ... I don't know if anyone's ever seen this, I only remember coming across it in a library catalogue years ago - apparently there was an English book and cassette pack of "The Broken Ear" produced at some point. I've no more information about it, unfortunately, but I'm guessing it was from the 1970s-1980s. As far as a Holy Grail of English Tintin rarities goes, this could well be near the top ...
Harrock n roll
#28 · Posted: 7 Mar 2005 00:37
apparently there was an English book and cassette pack of "The Broken Ear" produced at some point.

I have seen one of those cassette-with-a-book packs for “The Seven Crystal Balls”. I think they may have been made for teaching English. I'm not sure how rare they are though as one sold on ebay recently for a tenner!

The Holy Grail of English language books has to be the 1952 Casterman editions of “Unicorn” and “Red Rackham” featuring Tintin, the dauntless reporter! I've only ever seen one come up for sale and that sold for a few hundred quid if I remember correctly.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#29 · Posted: 7 Mar 2005 09:47
The Holy Grail of English language books has to be the 1952 Casterman editions of “Unicorn” and “Red Rackham”

I'd definitely agree, though I'm not sure they'd be quite as valuable as Harry Thompson makes out in his book: "... anyone who finds a copy of either Casterman edition on a dusty bookshelf will find themselves very rich indeed" (p.121). They're valuable, certainly, but won't make your fortune! Though much of our perception of "value" can be based on one person's opinion, so people may well buy them for much more than they're worth and still consider themselves to have a bargain.

Ed
jockosjungle
#30 · Posted: 7 Mar 2005 10:14
Added the new books, just added the cassette and books as one as I wasn;t sure how many there were and have never seen one. I imagine they're similar to a read a long story that was popular back then, I have several Star Wars ones.

Ed - perhaps if you can find a mint one then it'd be worth a fortune, sadly the chances of finding one in even fair condition would be remote at any rate.

Still I scower the car boot sales and charity shops in my town for any Tintin stuff.

Rik

Page  Page 3 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!