Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

English editions re-lettered?

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

jock123
#21 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 16:12
Harrock n roll
thanks for the info about the "long zed"! I always did wonder why "Menzies" was pronounced "Mingis".

For anyone interested, I just found this bit on the BBC website about how to pronounce "Menzies". Take the comments about who says what and where with a pinch of salt! ;-)
John Sewell
#22 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 16:35
jock123
Are you talking about internal continuity errors (i.e. some problems you have identified within those books specifically), or are you thinking of restoring the original continuity of the French books to the English canon?

I wasn't thinking of a complete overhaul, just the two or three "out of time" lines which came about because of the order the books were translated in. Specifially, Snowy's Marlinspike reference, Tintin musing "it's not the first time we've met" after he encounters Rastapopoulos, and the references to Borduria and the Red Sea in Crystal Ball. No great odds if they don't though, and like yourself, I'm far more bothered about the loss of the Hyslop lettering!
Rocky
#23 · Posted: 24 Feb 2006 17:47
I predict that in about 25 years they'll bring out a new range of collectors edition Tintin books - "Methuen Facsimiles", using matt paper and the Hyslop lettering.
Tournesol
#24 · Posted: 25 Feb 2006 08:53
The new digital versions of Tintin are indeed made by Casterman's graphic department at the behest of Fondation Hergé & Moulinsart SA. The old films are simply no good anymore, and when everything goes digital there has to be a new lettering.

A way around it would be to simply scan the old lettering itself. But that is indeed a huge untertaking!

For the new Swedish edition, all onomatopetic expressions (like the "POO-A" mentioned before) were scanned from the FRENCH original editions and tweaked a little in Photoshop or Illustrator to fit the Swedish language.

It's no good using a bland digital font to create such vivid expressions!
jock123
#25 · Posted: 27 Feb 2006 17:27
Rocky
I predict that in about 25 years they'll bring out a new range of collectors edition Tintin books - "Methuen Facsimiles", using matt paper and the Hyslop lettering.

Ooh! That's just in time for me to retire! Guess what I'm getting as my retirement present then?!! ;-)

Seriously, put me down for a set...!

I spent Saturday afternoon going round bookshops in central London, plugging holes in my collection before the old-style lettering becomes un-available, and I've just about managed it.

I've never had most of them in hard-back before, just battered old paper-backs usually, and this was just the excuse to do it. Hope they last until the Hyslop facsimiles turn up in 2031!

In re: Tibet it has to be said that several shops had the hard-back with the original lettering, should anyone be looking.
Sadly the Tintin Shop only had copies of Explorers with damaged spines, which they say they are sending back to be replaced!
yamilah
#26 · Posted: 27 Feb 2006 18:53
Harrock n roll
It includes the old-fashioned (at least in England) letter 'z', which looks like a number 3.

Do the digital Z's appear long-tailed throughout the book?
Has any image been modified too, i.e. the cover, the back & all 62 pages?

Thanks in advance.
Harrock n roll
#27 · Posted: 28 Feb 2006 00:22
yamilah Do the digital Z's appear long-tailed throughout the book?

The font used in the speech bubbles has long Zs throughout the book (except, I assume, when capitalized, although I haven't found a word yet that starts with Z). As mentioned earlier the "sound effects" have a different font, all capitals, which doesn't have a "long-tailed Z" or "yogh" - as in "ZZOINNG!", the sound Haddock makes as he trips on a guy rope (page 17).

Has any image been modified too, i.e. the cover, the back & all 62 pages?

Not that I've noticed so far. The front cover is exactly as it was. The back is different in that it has thumbnails for all 24 books (like Congo which has just been published in English). And of course it has the re-titled Flight 714 to Sydney.
I doubt very much that any of the images would be modified, but you never know...
jock123
#28 · Posted: 1 Mar 2006 11:50
Harrock n roll
I haven't found a word yet that starts with Z

We'll just have to wait for Zorrino, Zloty, Ramon Zarate or ZEPO for that, I guess! ;-)
Richard
UK Correspondent
#29 · Posted: 4 Mar 2006 12:55
Regarding these long-tailed Z's, I found this example from the Spanish version of King Ottokar's Sceptre which illustrates them better; the speech bubble looks a little crowded with them.

Edit: I've found an uppercase Z which might be of interest.
yamilah
#30 · Posted: 6 Mar 2006 22:11
Do these long Z's appear all over the book, or in the Syldavian speech bubbles only?

Page  Page 3 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!