Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Creating Tintin fan works

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

midnightblueowl
#21 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 14:25
Hi
But look at Rodier, he has produced several works and big retailers sell unofficial books. I think you can make the works, as long as they are tastefull and put them on websites, not forsale, but just for people to enjoy. I am working on completing Herge's unfinished Thermozero, and would like to make it available on the internet for free. I owe my allegiance to Herge's memory, not Moulinsart.
jock123
#22 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 14:42
midnightblueowl

look at Rodier, he has produced several works and big retailers sell unofficial books.

Just because someone has broken the law doesn't make it right for everyone else to do the same, does it? I'd also be hard pressed to believe that "big retailers" knowingly sell books which are not legitimate, or are breaking laws... There might be the occasional anomalous item which slips through, but it certainly isn't a policy which could be sustained, as the suppliers of the legitimate stuff would just cease to give them new stock...

I think you can make the works, as long as they are tastefull and put them on websites, not for sale, but just for people to enjoy.

That may be your opinion, but I'm afraid that you can't escape the fact that you would be in the wrong, and the copyright holders in the right.

I am working on completing Herge's unfinished Thermozero, and would like to make it available on the internet for free.

Well, that again would be wrong. Apart from the straightforward legal issue, Le ThermoZéro was a book that Hergé chose not to do (certainly as a Tintin story) - why shouldn't it be left as he wished: un-done?

I owe my allegiance to Herge's memory, not Moulinsart.

Sadly you would be directly contradicting Hergé himself - it was he who said that Tintin should not continue after his death; Moulinsart are the ones honouring that wish, and protecting his memory as a result.
Teak
#23 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 22:19
Sadly you would be directly contradicting Hergé himself - it was he who said that Tintin should not continue after his death; Moulinsart are the ones honouring that wish, and protecting his memory as a result.

Are they? Who knows how Hergé would feel if he could see the current state of affairs. People's opinions can always change. As far as "protecting his memory," I would say that is debatable. By preventing new authorized adventures (in the form of approved pastiches produced by their own studio) from being published, they are forcing the new stories to come out as low-quality pirate editions of sometimes questionable morality written by anyone. The stories might be good, they might be bad, who knows? There is no quality control.

But if they published new stories themselves, then they would have control over the content; they could make sure that it stays within Tintin-like bounds; and they would remove the market for the pirate stories.

One way or another, Tintin's adventures will continue - the only question is, who will produce them.
midnightblueowl
#24 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 22:29
Good point Mas, but I don't think Herge would have changed his mind as the untasteful stories were around in his time. He always could of of course. I think that as long as Tintin stories are made to standards set by Herge by dedicated fans and not those who use him for unsuitable stories, I consider them to be correct and what actually happened. I certainly agree that these such pastiches should be widely available in book form. I'm running out of ink printing them off. However what is clear is that good pastiches' will be produced and bad scribble will be produced. We can't stop that.
jock123
#25 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 22:32
Teak
Who knows how Hergé would feel if he could see the current state of affairs.
Well, that’s true, but then again, that doesn’t alter the fact that he never wanted anyone else to produce the books while he was alive, he didn’t want them to be continued after he died, and that is what Moulinsart, on behalf of Hergé’s estate, make sure happens; they certainly have a better informed idea than you or I.

As far as "protecting his memory," I would say that is debatable. By preventing new authorized adventures (in the form of approved pastiches produced by their own studio) from being published, they are forcing the new stories to come out as low-quality pirate editions of sometimes questionable morality written by anyone.

No, because no one is forcing anyone to produce anything. You just can’t get away from the fact that Hergé didn’t want new books written, so the pirates are leeching off his creation, and stealing his creative legacy, not “honouring” him in any shape, manner or form.

If they wanted they could invest the time and effort in creating their own original works, just as Hergé did, instead of using him as a crutch.

But if they published new stories themselves, then they would have control over the content; they could make sure that it stays within Tintin-like bounds; and they would remove the market for the pirate stories.

They do exert that control over content, and actually very fairly - they operate a universal blanket ban on everyone. That way, the legacy remains intact.
midnightblueowl
#26 · Posted: 15 Feb 2006 22:41
jock 123
they could invest the time and effort in creating their own original works

I see what you mean, but i have never come across a better comic creation. Tintin is simply the best. That's why people use him

And also I dont know how this is going to go on. It's just me and Teak fiercly debating with Jock123, and I dont want this to get into an argument.
Inoni
#27 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 00:39
Let me get this straight: I am not allowed to draw a chibi version of Tintin hugging Milou (with absolutely NO trace of any fanplot whatsoever, no dialogue, simply a cute pose) and place it on a fanart site?

Just making certain. I'm not at ALL interested in Tintin fanfiction or fancomics. I rather hope to draw more people in to become Tintin fans...word-of-mouth has only created two other Tintin fans besides myself (it's so hard to create fans in the US, grr), whereas I have hundreds of people worldwide who view my art online and enjoy my tastes and sense of humor, and for them to see me promoting Tintin might get them thinking: "Hey, we should check out this 'Adventures of Tintin' thing!" Those are my INTENTIONS, anyway...I understand how easily things could get out of hand/abused. I just wanted to check. =)

As an aside, I AM a fanfic/fancomic author/artist, but I know where to draw the line: like mentioned earlier in this thread, fanwork regulations vary. While I may draw a fancomic for a popular video game with relaxed regulation, BELIEVE me, the last thing I want is M-you-know-who getting worked up over a poor silly college girl like me footling around with Tintin fanconcepts. -_-;;
Danagasta
#28 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 11:47
Siyo Inoni!
I find the idea hard to swallow as well. Generally, I think that Europeans who are into Tintin have more to lose than we Americans do---after all, Moulinsart is right in their backyard, not ours. I also think there's some cultural thing going on---it seems that the only people opposed to the issue of stringent copyrights are the American fans. We aren't big fans of anyone or anything watching us (look at the backlash against the Patriot Act!), so that could be it. Any ideas?

Courtney
Inoni
#29 · Posted: 5 Apr 2006 17:03
I don't necessarily agree. If it were simply a matter of culture clash, of American v. European copyright policies, then why would there be SUCH a huge fan base for the Harry Potter series? There's fanart and fanfiction galore for that stuff, from people all over the world...no one seems to have buckled down on it. *shrug*
Danagasta
#30 · Posted: 6 Apr 2006 13:02
That's true, Inoni, I didn't think of that. Maybe it is just the Chateau and nothing else.....

Courtney

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!