Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Anchor Bay: New Tintin Movie DVD box set (Nov 2005)

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

olzen
#51 · Posted: 8 Apr 2006 08:18
The live-action films were released in Sweden. Being Danish, I can tell you they haven't been released here. I've strongly considered getting the Swedish imports, though, just for the sake of collecting.
flyingdoctor
#52 · Posted: 15 Apr 2006 11:25
I've been a long time Tintin fan since the Belvision series on the BBC many years ago. I wasn't impressed with the series done in the early 90's because of the voices. I have seen the 3 DVD box set with the belvision flims that has just come out and was wondering if anyone knows who does the voices. The original Belvision series used Larry Harmon as Tintin and Paul Frees for the rest of the characters.

The 90's version used Colin O'Meara as Tintin and unless the Box set uses the old character voices, I think I'll pass on it.

The other thing I just found out was that the old BBC series used Peter Hawkins (I think) to dub the voices. The voices I was used to were the when Calculus had a German accent, and the Thompson Twins were very posh British and the Captain had what sounded like a gruff maybe Scottish type accent.

I managed to track down a clip from one of the old series and was pleasantly surprised to hear the characters the way I remember them.

I read somewhere that the original series was released on DVD a couple of years ago in Iceland of all places. It had an English language track. Has anyone got a copy of this or know where it can be bought?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks

Pete
jockosjungle
#53 · Posted: 15 Apr 2006 15:50
Do the Swedish sets have an English soundtrack/subtitles?

Rik
heruursmith
#54 · Posted: 16 Apr 2006 00:25
I must admit that the voices are the biggest element of the 90's series that put me off (apart from the occasional plot changes and watering down of the elements that were deemed unsuitable for children). I found hearing Tintin with the North American accent really offputting and grating, and still do. I don't mean this in a derogatory way towards people with that accent, but as a longtime Tintin fan I had obviously grown up with my own preconceptions of how Tintin would sound if he could be heard to speak.

I suppose for some odd reason I had thought that he would have a mild (not too upper class and not too much of a local accent/dialect) english accent, maybe because England is the country that is closest to Belgium that speaks english?

The Tintin movies in this boxed set of three are more of my idea of how he might sound. Although perhaps a bit more boyish and not so BBC RP!
lol

Kamael

--
Related thread: What others think of the voices in the Ellipse-Nelvana series.
marsbar
#55 · Posted: 16 Apr 2006 01:18
jockosjungle wrote: Do the Swedish sets [live-action movies] have an English soundtrack/subtitles?

No English - just French audio with Swedish subtitles.

flyingdoctor wrote: I read somewhere that the original [Belvision] series was released on DVD a couple of years ago in Iceland of all places. It had an English language track. Has anyone got a copy of this or know where it can be bought?

Welcome to our community, flyingdoctor! :-)
Please refer to thread "Wanted: Tintin Belvision series - Icelandic release on DVD and VHS" in the Tintin Collectibles forum.
flyingdoctor
#56 · Posted: 16 Apr 2006 22:31
Thanks for the info and welcome. Would someone mind confirming whether the voices [in the Belvision series] are the same as those on the 3 movie box set that was recently released, please. The Belvision voices are the ones I remember and think are far superior to the later 1990s versions.
It really is amazing the effect a couple of cartoons had on me all those years ago. I can remember watching the shark sub and the moon rocket and being carted off to the dream worlds that only very young children have.
Thanks
Pete

[Moderator note: Tintinologists are reminded not to post links to unauthorized downloads of copyrighted material that should be purchased.]
jockosjungle
#57 · Posted: 17 Apr 2006 00:54
I confirm the voices are the same!

I too have a certain fondness for the Belvision voices and the cartoons in general, they were my first real memories of Tintin!

I wouldn't say they were superior to the 90's versions, but you do get used to the voices, etc.

It's not just Tintin though, I find I have a fondness for Sylvester McCoys Dr Who, etc.

Rik
flyingdoctor
#58 · Posted: 17 Apr 2006 08:04
Rik,

thank you for the information. I'll be out to buy the set today :-)

Moderator, sorry about including the link, however, in my defence I didn't know that the Belvideo version could be bought. If they are indeed available please can you tell me where I can buy them. Thanks.

Pete

--

From jockosjungle
Posted: 17 Apr 2006 02:12:40
You can't buy them Pete, except on video second hand, but they are still copyrighted material that cannot be linked to here.
Rik

From flyingdoctor
Posted: 17 Apr 2006 02:51:12
Thanks again for the info Rik. And again, sorry for infringing the rules. Won't happen again.
hmmmmm, think I used again a lot there......... :-)
Regards
Pete

From Moderator:
No worries, Pete. What I meant was no directing people to places that distribute copyrighted material without the copyright holders’ permissions. More often than not one has to pay to be allowed to distribute copyrighted material.
We got into some problems with M-you-know-who earlier this decade - now we have learnt our lesson. By following a few simple rules, Tintin fans can help keep this site open. :-)

From flyingdoctor
Posted: 17 Apr 2006 02:51:12
Thanks again for the info Rik. And again, sorry for infringing the rules. Won't happen again.
hmmmmm, think I used again a lot there… :-)
Regards
Pete
flyingdoctor
#59 · Posted: 2 May 2006 21:06
Well I got the 3 movie set and what a disappointment. The voices are not the ones I remember from the TV series when I was a kid..... bummer. They must have been redubbed because I remember seeing the Calculus Affair and it was the, to me, "classic" voices. Oh well the hunt continues.
Rocky
#60 · Posted: 8 Nov 2006 12:57
If you don't already have this you may be interested to know that hmv.co.uk are currently selling it for only £7.99 (I should point out that I do not work for HMV).

Page  Page 6 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!