Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Favorite Tintin book cover?

Page  Page 5 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

visionary6
#41 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 00:09
I think Explorers on the Moon is the best. Herge's mountains are expertly shaded, and the space view of the earth is great as well.
SingingGandalf
#42 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 07:30
Herge's mountains are expertly shaded,

Bob de Moor did the landscapes in the moon stories, as a part of studio Herge.

I think that 'The blue lotus' or 'flight 714' have the best covers, because of the composition of both.
thompson fan
#43 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 13:43
I like Red Rackham's Treasure.I like how it shows what sea life really is like.
Tintinrulz
#44 · Posted: 19 Apr 2006 13:58
Flight 714 and/or Calculus Affair. The Blue Lotus is also very good. I enjoy them all.
pgram
#45 · Posted: 21 Apr 2006 15:39
I 'd pick the Black Island as a first choice and Blue Lotus as a second.

Black Island is excelent because all the lines are pointing towards the island and castle. Tintin is looking at it, the boat is obviously going this way, the clouds have a vanishing point just behind it. You have to look at the island itself. It is the important thing on the cover. Very powerful artistically, and it creates the suspence before you even start reading the story: what is this island? Why is Tintin going there? What about the castle? What secret does lie there?

The blue lotus is excellent because of its simplicity: a dragon, a jar and a lamp, and that's it, it is definitely a chinese story. An excellent composition indeed, Tintin is right next to the dragon's mouth: surely, some chinese organisation is after him. He is disguised as chinese, it is another exotic adventure. Nothing more is required, you are already departing in your mind for the far east. I think it is by far the most stylish of them all
Jorgen221
#46 · Posted: 22 Apr 2006 04:58
I like The Calculus Affair. The shattered glass design really makes you wonder what the heck goes on in the story, and therefore makes you want to read it.
heterotopic
#47 · Posted: 28 Dec 2006 14:42
I love The Blue Lotus. I remember wanting to have that book ever since I read my first Tintin (the covers, albeit tiny, can all be seen at the back cover of a Tintin book). And I never saw The Blue Lotus in the bookstores, until recently. I quickly grabbed it and fell in love not just with the cover, but the story itself.
Dupond et Dupont
#48 · Posted: 1 Jan 2007 13:04
I would have to agree with all of the above. I love "The Blue Lotus" and have a framed poster of the cover in my home. It is very striking.

"The Black Island" is a cover full of foreboding and draws you into the story.

The framing of the "The Calculus Affair" is very effective.

I also particularly like the framing of the cover of "Land of Black Gold".

Being a bit of a sailing navy enthusiast I love the beautifully drawn vessel on the cover of the "Secret of the Unicorn" with the energised Captain Haddock theatrically impersonating his ancestor.
Jordy
#49 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 04:46
I'm going to be different here and say The Castafiore Emerald or King Ottokars Sceptre (sp?).

The Castafiore Emerald because Signora Castafiore always seems to bring a lighter side to the story. Although many may disagree with this, i think she's a good character and makes the stories so much more fun.

King Ottokars Sceptre also has a good cover. Tintin walking from a castle with guards at the entrance make it interesting, as it hints there could be some Royal involvement in the story.
Kimmo
#50 · Posted: 2 Jan 2007 14:59
This is a tough question...

I can't pick a fave.

Tintin in America - Gets the job done, I guess, but doesn't really grab me.

Cigars of the Pharaoh* - Very intriguing, nice amount of detail.

The Blue Lotus* - A stark masterpiece.

The Broken Ear - Nicely composed, but lacking a little detail (especially in the colour) compared to Picaros.

The Black Island* - Great composition; love the sky and crows, too.

King Ottokar's Sceptre - The redheaded stepchild of Tintin covers; dunno why I don't like it. I guess it's just kinda prosaic.

Crab with the Golden Claws - Simple and plain, like the art inside. A tad second-rate.

The Shooting Star - As per Golden Claws.

Secret of the Unicorn - Here we see the character of Haddock entering full swing. A fine thing indeed : )
The composition seems a little odd and cluttered, though.

Red Rackham's Treasure* - Brilliant, top-notch stuff.

The Seven Crystal Balls - Another ripper. Might have looked better with the interior of Professor Tarragon's house as background, rather than just the colour of his walls.

Prisoners of the Sun* - A dramatic tableau; particularly striking.

Land of Black Gold - The border's a nice touch, and the state of the Thompsons provides intrigue.

Destination Moon* - Behold, the work of the goat! Awesome example of Herge's mastery of detail.

Explorers on the Moon* - More excellence. The long shadows really make it.

The Calculus Affair* - The broken glass makes a cool border, and the scene depicted is nice and dramatic.

The Red Sea Sharks* - This one's great - the whole shipwrecked sailors viewed through a telescope thing is nailed to perfection.

Tintin in Tibet - The Yeti's footprints are kinda ho-hum next to some of the other scenes that could have been used, I reckon.

The Castafiore Emerald - It has a certain ambience... I like Haddock covering his ears.

Flight 714* - This one is cool. Great composition, and the automatic weapons really give it an edge.

Tintin and the Picaros* - If I had to pick a fave, this'd prolly be it cause Tintin's finally ditched those silly plus-fours. Not to mention the great drama, detail and composition of this one, too.

*These ones are all about as good as each other, IMO.

Page  Page 5 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!