Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

English 3-in-1 editions reissued including Soviets, Congo and Alph-Art

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

jockosjungle
#21 · Posted: 15 Feb 2007 19:32
They wouldn't have put three in the first volume as Soviets is considerably longer than other books!

Anyone know if they're going to continue the older ones as well as I'm about two volumes short!

R
Balthazar
#22 · Posted: 15 Feb 2007 20:19
jockosjungle
They wouldn't have put three in the first volume as Soviets is considerably longer than other books!
That's a good point, which I hadn't thought of. But then, volume eight of this series is going to have more pages than the rest anyway, as it contains three finished adventures plus Alph Art. So presumeably the idea of having volume one containing Soviets, Congo and America wasn't ruled out only for reasons of not exceeding a standard page count of 3 times 62.

Anyway, I'm happier with my old full-sized, matt-paper editions, even though some are slightly dog-eared from childhood, so I'm not actually that fussed how they arrange these three-in-ones. It just seemed a bit careless to have the Unicorn-Rackham story spread over two different volumes. But maybe that's good marketing, to make readers buy the next volume to finish the story!
Richard
UK Correspondent
#23 · Posted: 20 Feb 2007 19:26
Saw the full set in Waterstones today, so looks like they're readily available. The covers have a nice matt finish and the pages don't look as glossy as their full-size counterparts.

Tintin and Alph-Art has a new layout of text on the left, full page on the right, although sadly it doesn't reproduce the extra material found in the 2004 edition.
jock123
#24 · Posted: 20 Feb 2007 20:20
Richard
Tintin and Alph-Art has a new layout of text on the left, full page on the right, although sadly it doesn't reproduce the extra material found in the 2004 edition.
That seems a missed opportunity - but I seem to recall that there has been a French compact collection available as a boxed set; I wonder if this is merely a re-print of that? That may have been out since before the revised Alph-Art.
Did you notice if the new font was used throughout, and if the 714 title had been ammended?
Richard
UK Correspondent
#25 · Posted: 20 Feb 2007 20:43
jock123
Did you notice if the new font was used throughout, and if the 714 title had been ammended?

It's the new font, yes (although Soviets keeps its original lettering) and it uses the new title of Flight 714 to Sydney.

It looks quite a smart collection all put together, although as has been mentioned before it'd be nice to have three books in each volume. The back covers are quite plain by comparison, just a list of titles with no illustrations.
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#26 · Posted: 20 Feb 2007 23:24
Very interesting Richard, thank you. Perhaps the shortened Alph-Art is the reason for four stories being in the last volume - or perhaps it was the other way round (they decided to truncate Alph-Art to fit better)?

I think many have found the reproduction of the images in the 2004 Alph-Art to be too small - so you can imagine how small they'd be in the A5 format.

Ed
Richard
UK Correspondent
#27 · Posted: 20 Feb 2007 23:44
edcharlesadams
I think many have found the reproduction of the images in the 2004 Alph-Art to be too small - so you can imagine how small they'd be in the A5 format.

They're actually probably a bit bigger in the reduced format, ironically! Instead of having extracts from the drawings and reduced pages here and there, it's a full-page reproduction on the right hand side, and the text on the left. So certain pages - eg. the three finished pencil pages - are reduced from the full-size edition, but the smaller samples have been enlarged to A5.

Graphically speaking, I think it's closest to the first edition; it's quite sparse but tells the story well enough with the art to accompany it. If you're a die-hard fan you'll have the full-size edition anyway, but as a more convenient format it gets the job done!
edcharlesadams
Trivia Challenge Score Keeper
#28 · Posted: 23 Feb 2007 21:37
They're actually probably a bit bigger in the reduced format, ironically!

Sorry, should have been clearer - that's most probably why the format was changed - if it hadn't been, the pictures would have been far too small.

I saw the whole set today, and I like the new layout for Alph-Art, though it is a shame to lose the recently-discovered extra material from the 2004 version. I noticed the pages that reproduced the full pages of sketches were a slightly beige tint, which was a nice touch. However from a quick glance I didn't see any explanation as to why the story was left unfinished - which might confuse the casual reader.

Ed

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!