Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Works influenced/inspired by Hergé /

Alph-Art: The Yves Rodier version?

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

tintinspartan
#21 · Posted: 5 Jun 2007 10:26
miloumuttmitt:
How did Rastapopoulos die? I've never read the book.

He was pushed off a cliff by the real Ramo Nash.
Jeeves
#22 · Posted: 9 Mar 2008 23:37
I agree with quite a few of the posts that this version is not up to scratch, aside from the part about Alan becoming a mailman that was funny, my impression of Alph-Art was that it was ment to be a final duel between Tintin and Rastapopoulos and the fact that Tintin had so little to do with his downfall was disapionting, also the death was a little over the top.
I'm not sure how I feel about Martine, I think it would be nice to have a pretty, young female character to balance out the previous portrayals of womanhood, but I don't like the idea of her as a love intrest.
I think that Tintin is meant to be nonsexual, but Hergé spent most of Tintin and the Picaros getting rid of some of Tintin's oldest traits (his love of adventure, his plus fours,etc.) so maybe next in line to go was his sexlessness, and thats why Martine was there in the first place.
BTW my French is abismal could anyone tell me what the thing at the end with Haddock, Wagg, and the statue was all about?
John Sewell
#23 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 01:44
Jeeves wrote:
BTW my French is abismale could anyone tell me what the thing at the end with Haddock, Wagg, and the statue was all about?

Wagg turns up as he's heard that our heroes have been given the late Rastapopoulos's Ischian villa by a grateful government, and he fancies borrowing it for a while! The Captain tells him that he'd better ask Tintin, as the villa supposedly really belongs to him, but when he goes off, supposedly to ask Tintin, he thinks something along the lines of "No chance!"

Then he overhears Wagg's son asking if the statue is of Superman, and Wagg telling the boy that it's the Captain, and that he's a real, true friend. Moved by this, Haddock comes back and gives Wagg the keys to the villa. Wagg cheerily departs, after telling the Captain that he's going to invite his cousin and his family along as well. Haddock's aleady regretting this when Tintin arrives, hence the decision to give the statue away as a rather ostentatious scarecrow! Can't remember what the French words were, but when I did my own (rather approximate) translation for my own copy I had him saying "No, please don't mention it! It seems to be my day for making generous gestures!"
Jeeves
#24 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 06:33
Thanks a lot!
Grey
#25 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 10:15
Despite being in this discussion and about to be quite naughty to say this, but I just can't bring myself to buy nor read Alph-Art. From I've read, the book seems too emotional with the death of Rastapopoulos and everything else. Plus the changes in Tintin's character.
Sapristi
#26 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 18:16
Grey wrote:
the book seems too emotional with the death of Rastapopoulos and everything else. Plus the changes in Tintin's character.

I'm not too bothered about the death of Rastapopoulos, (sounds a bit heartless that, but hey,) but to Hergé's credit, Tintin actually goes back to his advenurous self in Alph-Art; (investigating mysteries and nearly getting himself killed by gangsters several times) as opposed to Picaros where he only eventually joins the gang in San Theodoros.
cigee
#27 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 21:04
Jeeves wrote:
Herge spent most of Tintin and the Picaros getting rid of some of Tintins oldest traits (his love of adventure, his plus fours,etc.

The plus fours replacement by regular pants actually happened in the Belvision cartoons ("Prisoner of the sun" and "Lake of Sharks") which predates Picaros by a few years.

I don't know if Hergé was already planning the change, but always assumed that he made the change in Picaros to be consistent with the movies.
Balthazar
#28 · Posted: 10 Mar 2008 21:59
Grey
I just can't bring myself to buy nor read Alph-Art. From I've read, the book seems too emotional with the death of Rastapopoulos and everything else. Plus the changes in Tintin's character.

Forgive me if I'm clarifying something you already knew, Grey, but the death of Rastapopoulos and other things discussed in this thread only feature in the unauthrorized completed version of Alph-Art by Yves Rodier.
The Alph-Art book that you can buy in bookshops - which is a collection of the rough pages and notes Hergé left when he died - doesn't even pin Rastapopoulos down as definitely being the unidentified baddie, much less suggest that he was going to die. Ditto the changes to Tintin's character or love interest etc. It's clear from the notes that everything was still very up in the air for Hergé with this book.

To get back onto the topic of this thread, I've never read the Yves Rodier version, but I have seen some pages from it (penned up versions of the pencil roughs Hergé left behind) and I thought the drawing looked pretty amateurish compared to the work of Hergé and his team. Just one of the reasons why Hergé surely wouldn't have approved of Rodier attempting to finish the story.

Hergé's closest collaborator Bob De Moor might have been in a better position to have produced a finished version of the book. (He was keen to do so, I believe.)
But looking at how unfinished it was - how many important plot things Hergé hadn't decided on - I think Hergé's widow probably made the right decision not to authorize De Moor to do so.
Jeeves
#29 · Posted: 15 Mar 2008 05:42
cigee wrote:
The plus fours replacement by regular pants actually happened in the Belvision cartoons ("Prisoner of the sun" and "Lake of Sharks") which predates Picaros by a few years.

I did not know that, but I think that the change of costume is part of this dismantling trend that becomes evident in Picaros that not only applies to Tintin but almost the whole cast (Haddock can't drink whiskey, Nestor evesdrops and drinks Haddock booze, Tintin would rather stay safe at home). But that's just my opinion
ZGDK
#30 · Posted: 23 Oct 2008 21:56
I think the Rodier version is really well done, it feels so much like Herge. The artwork is a bit wonky though.

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!