Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Tintin republished in Indonesia by another publisher

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Misdianto
#11 · Posted: 14 Apr 2008 10:58
Rackham, thanks for helping me out here.

I just got back from travelling and now just be able to login again to the Tintinologist.

Basically as said by Rackham, the new Publisher named GPU - Gramedia Pustaka Utama, compare to the old one Indira.

Yes, the size is exactly the same as the three in one edition published by Egmont - English.

The paper is good and shine, as mentioned by Rackham.

As far as I remember Lakmus in Indonesian is refer to the paper we used in the Chemistry Laboratory to test the pH of a certain liquid. Is the liquid is Base or Acid.

Is this the reason why Tournesol is translated into Lakmus (Chemist). I think Tournesol is a Professor in Physics not Chemist, right??

The one that I can't find from Indira is Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin and Alph-Art. I didn't have that version. I think is not published by Indira.

Base on the list of title that was given on the books published by GPU, the title is now change a bit but it is more exciting for a new fans. But for me also as the old fans of Tintin.

Can't hardly wait to have the complete set of the series.

Regards,

-Dian-
jock123
#12 · Posted: 14 Apr 2008 19:34
So, in regard to the size, are the books just like “scale models” of the standard albums?
If so, I think they may be the same as the smaller hard-backs which came out in French last year or the year before. It’ll be interesting to see if they ever come out in English.
rackhammerah
#13 · Posted: 15 Apr 2008 09:01
Misdianto wrote:
Is this the reason why Tournesol is translated into Lakmus (Chemist)

Salam Kenal Dian,
Actually Jock gave me a link to the thread specifically discussing this.
Misdianto wrote:
I think Tournesol is a Professor in Physics not a Chemist, right??

My opininon, I believe our dear professor is multi-talented and certified expert in different fields of sciences though.
Misdianto wrote:
The one that I can't find from Indira is Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin and Alph-Art. I didn't have that version. I think is not published by Indira.

I do have the Tintin in the Land of the Soviets album published by Indira, as well as Tintin in Congo :), although I actually have never seen Tintin and Alph-Art translated in Bahasa Indonesia, so you are probably correct on that one.

That is why I'm so glad to see Tintin and Alph-Art finally being translated by GPU! I myself can't wait to see that.

jock123 wrote:
So, in regard to the size, are the books just like "scale models" of the standard albums?
If so, I think they may be the same as the smaller hard-backs which came out in French last year or the year before. It'll be interesting to see if they ever come out in English.

Hi Jock,
Yes they are like scale models of the standard albums, 15.5 cm by 22 cm, 60+ pages depending on the album. They are not exactly hardback either, more like a 'slightly sturdier' paperback. Content is one album per book.
Cheers!
Dedes
Misdianto
#14 · Posted: 16 Apr 2008 04:29
Gents,

I do have the pics of the new Indonesian Books published by GPU. It might be available this afternoon JKT Time since I need to downloaded from my digital camera and uploaded to my blogs.

Later on today you can read my thoughts about the new Indonesian Translation version on my blog http://mokhammadmisdianto.blogspot.com/.

Jocks,

If there is another link to discuss about this, would it be possible you share it with me aswell.

Thanks n Regards,

Dian
ronny
#15 · Posted: 20 Apr 2008 04:31
I'm pretty sure that this is about different contracts arrangement. But for years all of us have been familiar with the old translation, so this new editions make me feel somewhat akward. The change of names doesn't naturally make the translation become better or more accurate.
Every primary school students know what "Calculus" means, so thay can grab the funny side of it, but I'm sure "Lakmus" won't suggest anything for them.
I think Gramedia must retain the old names.
DianNdeso
#16 · Posted: 19 Jun 2008 10:09
Ronny,

Yes Indira dan Gramedia has a different contract arrangement, which Indira is translated the Tintin series from the "English" version. In the English version the dog is called as Snowy since it's more familiar a dog name in England. Then our beloved Professor is called Cuthbert Calculus, the twin detektif is Thomson and Tomson.

But Gramedia is has a contract directly from Casterman the originated Tintin publisher in Belgium. With their contract, Casterman ask Gramedia to refer back the translation to the originated French version which make Gramedia position a bit difficult for us the old fans of Tintin.

I am agree with you as the old Tintin fans, I more familiar with Snowy, Thomson and Tomson, Prof. Cuthbert Calculus etc. But we also need to respect the contract arrangement that Gramedia has now.

Maybe you should also understand that from Gramedia data the first sixth edition republished Tintin (Gramedia) has been sold more than Gramedia expectation and most of buyer is the new fans who never know Tintin before just like us.

Let gave Gramedia a chance to proof that their turn will make Tintin serial become famous again like our era. From now on, we should be ready to hear them, the new Tintin fans, called the dog as Milo, Calculus as Lakmus, and the twin detective as "Dupond and Dupont".

Meanwhile I already read the new "Crab with the Golden Claws" or "Kepiting Bercapit Emas" (in Indonesian) and found some of Haddock's word such as Blistering Barnacles translated into different word like we use to read before on the Tintin of Indira translation. More you can read my small review at http://mmisdianto.blogspot.com/. Unfortunately it was written in Indonesian.

Regards,

M. Misdianto

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!