Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Tintin news and events /

Official Tintin site revamped

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Triskeliae
#11 · Posted: 25 Apr 2008 21:26
cigars of the beeper wrote:
Bwa-ha-ha-ha-haaa!!! © TRISKELIAE.

No way, I've read it somewhere else! Someone invented that laugh and it was not me!

Right now, I'm waiting for a FedEx package from the Tintin Store. I ordered the rest of the Tintin black and white books.
tintinagalog
#12 · Posted: 26 Apr 2008 13:11
One thing I would like to suggest to the tintin.com's webmaster is to translate ALL its French pages to English. I believe that in this manner they can propagate Tintin to a wider range of surfers, not only to the citizens of France, Canada, and Belgium. Hope they can cater much information to those who are quite curious about the Belgian hero. Most people don't know Tintin and Company well. Not everyone can easily understand French. French is NOT the official language of the universe. How can we play Battleships, or read the newsletters properly if we can't comprehend the directions (unless we either spend a lot of time translating them thoroughly or hire a translator)?

And I'll take care of its Philippine version. I have started it on scratch.
jock123
#13 · Posted: 26 Apr 2008 13:41
tintinagalog wrote:
French is NOT the official language of the universe.

Neither is English come to that; but French is the language of the books.
If they were looking for sheer numbers, they might just as well translate it into Mandarin and Cantonese - but that wouldn’t help us would it?
I’d welcome more English content on the site too, but then that would be expecting of them something I (and you) don’t seem able or willing to do - to speak another language fluently. Maybe we should be the ones making the effort, not them?
French is also a language spoken by a good portion of the world (c. 120,000,000), and there are far more speakers than just the countries you list - as well as all the folks who have learned it in school, it widely spoken in Africa and is an official language even in the U.S. (Louisiana), so it covers a lot of people.
cigars of the beeper
#14 · Posted: 26 Apr 2008 21:15
I think that there are even places in Egypt where French is spoken (Napoleon's fault?). Also, I agree with Jock that French is the language of the books. Since parts of the site are in English, I just see the French pages as an opportunity to learn some French. By looking at the pictures and closely studying the words, I can almost see what they mean, without ever having learned any French.
mhoefler
#15 · Posted: 27 Apr 2008 09:15
tintin.com has had texts for asian fans (japan and china i think) but it seems this has gone now.
Without doubt they could reach a much broader audience with the english version than with french (and dutch) alone.
Most people in europe (and the world) that don't speak french probably can read english instead.

At the moment the site looks a bit... um... should I say "amateurish" with
- french texts behind english news
- french text left, right and below english text?
- things like "recherche" clicking "search" (yes, you can figure out what it means, but this are simple things the could have easily corrected bevor launching)
and so on.

The site must not be perfect from the very beginning, but the english site is around for years. They could have waited a few days more to fix this bugs.
The public area should be completely available in english even most of us know the books, the characters and the dossiers.
With the news now only in french it seems I have no need to visit the site any more.
cigars of the beeper
#16 · Posted: 27 Apr 2008 19:04
Yes, well, it does seem that the English site is lower priority than the French site, but that's probably just because they expect more visitors to the French site.
tintinagalog
#17 · Posted: 28 Apr 2008 01:57
Copy.

But with the verge of the Spielberg-Jackson-made Tintin movie coming up, I think it's about time for the webmaster to grant high priority to the English language that the majority of the masses simply can understand.
Triskeliae
#18 · Posted: 28 Apr 2008 03:13
I believe so too, but...
jock123 wrote:
to speak another language fluently. Maybe we should be the ones making the effort...

It doesn't hurt to learn another language, it broadens our horizons.
cigars of the beeper
#19 · Posted: 28 Apr 2008 21:56
tintinagalog wrote:
Copy.

But with the verge of the Spielberg-Jackson...

What do you mean by "Copy"?

Triskeliae

I'm with you on the learning of other languages. I don't let all of that French bother me. I just look at it and learn what it means (if I can).
jock123
#20 · Posted: 28 Apr 2008 22:13
cigars of the beeper wrote:
What do you mean by "Copy"?

It means “Received and understood”. It was originally radio-operator talk, but is used quite a lot by all sorts of people; it turns up all the time on TV programmes (listen to people on detective shows - they often say things like “Copy that!” in response to something somebody else has said).

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!