Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / [Archive/read-only] Tintin Trivia Challenge /

Catch that quote!

Page  Page 3 of 27:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26  27  Next » 

Dupondt
#21 · Posted: 10 Sep 2008 21:50
This has really kicked off, i can only look however because my collection is in french, oh well, interesting all the same
Balthazar
#22 · Posted: 11 Sep 2008 20:37
You haven't responded to Cigars's guess yet, Tintinagalog, but on checking The Crab with the Golden Claws, I see that the Captain doesn't actually say Blistering Barnacles or Thundering Typhoons in that book at all (unless I missed it), in spite it being his debut. This surprised me, so thanks for bringing up this interesting fact, Tintinagalog.

Maybe the translators hadn't come up with those phrases when they did The Crab, or maybe Hergé never used the equivalent French phrases in the original. In any case, I reckon it's in the next book - The Shooting Star - that the Captain first uses these expressions.

I think his first use of Thundering Typhoons occurs in the third frame of page 17.

And I think his first use of Blistering Barnacles occurs in the second-last frame of page 19.

That really did need research, rather than guessing or memory!
tintinagalog
#23 · Posted: 12 Sep 2008 03:19
Hello fellows!

Balthazar
Sorry for not responding to Beep's answer immediately. You know, teaching life really irregularize my netsurfing sked.

Beep and you got tied. Why? "Blistering Barnacles" was first used at Crab with the Golden Claws (strip 3, frame 4, page 44), on the part when Captain Haddock found out that the Karaboudjan ship changes its name to Djebel Amilah. "Thundering typhoons" premieres at The Shooting Star on the page you guessed.
tuhatkauno
#24 · Posted: 12 Sep 2008 05:53
tintinagalog

Ok, the problem is solved, but another problem occurred: Who is to set the next quote? You, tintinagalog, are to decide it (I quess?).
Balthazar
#25 · Posted: 12 Sep 2008 11:22
Thanks for clearing that up, Tintinagalog. (How did I miss that first Blistering Barnacles?)

I'm more than happy for Cigars to set the next quote. He was first in with his half of the answer (and, in any case, I've already got a lot on today and will be glad not to have to think of/find another quote to ask!) So go for it, Cigars.

Unless you're around on the forum, IvanIvanovitch, and want to leap in and resurrect that unsolved quote you posed several posts back, when we seemed to be stuck on Cigars's "Hands up" one. This game was your idea, after all!
tintinagalog
#26 · Posted: 13 Sep 2008 10:03
Our brave hero's shortest way of introducing himself was, "Tintin. Reporter. Brussels." In what episode did he mention it? And to whom?
tuhatkauno
#27 · Posted: 13 Sep 2008 11:31
hi tintinagalog

The quote sounded so strange that it must be either in Congo or in Sovjets. I took a glance at the Land of the Sovjets and "simpsalapimpsa" Tintin introduces himself as reporter from Bruxelles to baldheaded policechief at the Berlin policestation (on pg. 7 in Finnish edition).
cigars of the beeper
#28 · Posted: 13 Sep 2008 14:08
If I may take Balthazar's permission, I will provide a new quote...

"Hello Captain...That's fine!...Carry on!"
Balthazar
#29 · Posted: 25 Sep 2008 10:32
Well, Cigars, this quote you set has had us stumped for a long time, though I've been turning it over at the back of my mind since you set it. It's a harder one to take a guess at than it appears, since there aren't that many instances of the Captain taking orders or instructions from anyone else. Also, the broken speech suggested one side of a phone or radio conversation, and there aren't all that many of those involving the Captain.

As I got up this morning, though, a possible scene came to me and, having my Tintin books to hand, I checked it. It's the scene in Destination Moon (page 37) where Captain Haddock is testing the space suit. The speaker is Wolff, who's observing him through a glass panel. They're just about to discover that the suit is full of white mice.
tuhatkauno
#30 · Posted: 26 Sep 2008 15:11
Well done Mr. Balthazar

I reckoned this might be a trick question, because I didn't find anything to catch. I (showing unsportsmanlike behaviour) gave up. I wondered if the captain in the quote wasn't Archie ... but fortunately it was Archie and the question was exellent.

Page  Page 3 of 27:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  24  25  26  27  Next »