Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Flight 714: Can we locate Pulau-Pulau Bomba from the details Hergé gives us...?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

robbo
#21 · Posted: 31 Aug 2010 15:46
Harrock n roll:
Krakatoa might have been the inspiration for the volcano in the Jo, Zette and Jocko adventure The Secret Ray: The Eruption of Karamako. I don't have any evidence for this outside of the similarity of the names.

I didn't think of that - I must get myself a copy of the nice facsimile album that Casterman recently published.

Harrock n roll:
Michael Farr's Complete Companion cites the eruptions of Mount Etna in Sicily and Mount Kīlauea in Hawaii as contemporary visual sources for the volcano in Flight 714 found in Hergé's archives.

Ah, I just checked out my copy of this, shame they don't have the map Herge was using as well in the archives, it might give a clue as to what he was looking at.

Mat
topanbadai
#22 · Posted: 4 Nov 2010 17:04
Hi! I'm new here and glad to come across this forum.

If my memory serves me well, I first read Flight 714 in 1977 when it was first published in Indonesia. As a kid, I was fascinated to see my own country depicted in Tintin.

It is interesting to follow the discussion regarding the location of the island, but I just want to add two facts on the island's animals that will make the task of locating the island even harder!
First, the proboscis monkey on page 42: this monkey is endemic to the island of Borneo (Kalimantan).
Second, the monitor on page 35: looks like the Komodo dragon found only in Komodo island and several surrounding islands (near Flores).

Borneo is not on the flight path of Carreidas' jet, so the island could not be located there. It is more probable to put the island near the island of Komodo, but it can't have proboscis monkey since it is too far from Borneo.
jock123
#23 · Posted: 4 Nov 2010 17:36
Interesting points - welcome to the forums, topanbadai.

Either the ecology of this island is in some way new, and developed in Tintin's world differently from science as we have experienced it, or perhaps one of the creatures has been introduced by man - a discarded pet or escaped cargo from a ship?

Some sailor thought they'd take an exotic pet (or pets), or wanted to sell them to a zoo, and then regretted it as they grew bigger and became harder to keep, and they dumped them when the ship reached the island?

Maybe they even came from one of the wrecks we can see in the bay, and got away when the ship was sunk?

Or perhaps they were placed there by the former native inhabitants who built the statues, or even their Alien Overlords on a previous trip...?
dinayuswita
#24 · Posted: 29 Jul 2019 04:51
Hi, what do you think of Siau Island? Karangetang Volcano mountain is there.

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!