Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Captain Haddock: His nationality?

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

cigee
#51 · Posted: 16 Jul 2011 18:54
mct16
mct16:
But given the fact that the other Belgian characters (Tintin, Thompsons etc) are speaking with very English accents

Just to clarify, they are speaking with English accents in the English versions of the videos and books, but not in the French versions.
jock123
#52 · Posted: 18 Jul 2011 13:21
cigee:
not in the French versions

They have Tintin in French these days? Whatever next!? ;-)

As for the Scottish accent - well I’m just glad that Andy Serkis must have read my post…! ;-)

Update: A thoughtful response to the so-called controversy from The Scotsman (that’s the paper, not me…).
DianNdeso
#53 · Posted: 21 Jul 2011 04:51
I would say Haddock is definitely an English nationality, base on his name creation and his style. I wish he is an Indonesian or even Javanese born in Surabaya, East Java. Since, if he does, he might have uniquely "Haddock words", since Surabaya people do have a lot of swear words.. Ha.. Ha.. Ha..
Star Child
#54 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 11:57
I don't know about you, but I think he's gotta be French. Or Scottish, for that matter. He mentions 'bagpipes' in Tintin in Tibet.
tintinsgf
#55 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 13:41
I always think that Haddock is English/British (or at least coming from the British Isles, sorry for unintentionally confusing English with British), and this thought was inherited from (undoubtedly) my father. At my early years of knowing Tintin my father always said that Tintin is French(Franco-Belgian actually, but he said Tintin is French to me back then), while Haddock and (especially) the Thompsons are English(my father could also mean that they are British, but I am not sure on this). And the previously listed evidences (whisky, Karaboudjan real life counterpart assembly point, his name and so on) amplify the notion that Haddock is indeed British.

This notion is further amplified by the evidence of Marlinspike hall location in the English edition, but in its original edition, the evidence blurred all the evidence previously mentioned (and believed), which further make Haddock's nationality unclear.

No matter the circumstances, though, I'll stay on my opinion that Haddock is British (or perhaps, to be more exact, a Scotsman!). Besides, isn't it usual for sailors to stay (in a long time) on other countries? (especially due to his job, although Haddock is retired, but still, this might be a point)

Anyway, is it possible for a Scottish Jacobite to have a property (like a land, or mansion) outside (and far from) his homeland? If possible, in what kind of circumstances could it be possible?
mct16
#56 · Posted: 4 Mar 2012 14:07
tintinsgf:
Anyway, is it possible for a Scottish Jacobite to have a property (like a land, or mansion) outside (and far from) his homeland? If possible, in what kind of circumstances could it be possible?

The Jacobites developed as a political force after 1688 when James II was exiled from England and replaced by his son-in-law William III.

If we stick to the original French edition of "Unicorn" then it is just... just possible that Sir Francis de Hadoque was (in 1698) a Jacobite exile who served under Louis XIV who sided with James, but I don't know if any of the exiled Jacobites were actually given important positions in the French armed forces.
Archie Haddock
#57 · Posted: 25 Mar 2012 19:41
I think he's either British or Scottish.. He might also possibly be Irish.. Just a thought!
dupont804
#58 · Posted: 16 Apr 2013 22:26
Hello all, this has been on my mind for a very long time to know what country the Captain is actually from. In Harry Thompson's biography of Hergé's books, it stated that he is English, yet it never mentions he is in the books. In the English versions it says Tintin lives in England, simply to give the reader some familiarity, but we all know he lives in Belgium!

What are your opinions on this? Is Captain Haddock from Belgium? England? or somewhere else? Why would a drunken old English sea captain speak fluent French?

Saying that, in countries that speak a different language the people often speak Tintin's language for simplicity.

Moderator Note: Please remember to do a forum search before you start a new thread - you may find that the subject has already been tackled, and the information you want is there! Your post has been moved here.

The Tintinologist Team
sliat_1981
#59 · Posted: 8 May 2017 10:51
He's descended from a French ancestor. Lives in Belgium and speaks French.
I'm sorry I can't see how anyone could have seen him as English. He's clearly Belgian.

Moderator Warning: It's unusual, and it pains us, but you are on an immediate warning.
You have been warned in the past for the aggressive tone of your posts, and the vehemence of your anti-British sentiment, which you appear to bring in at any excuse.
This is a long - and long-standing - thread, and it is disrespectful to the other participants that you open it up again merely to pour scorn on other people's opinions - which, in point of fact originate with remarks by Hergé himself, which makes your blunt dismissal subject to the suspicion that you haven't actually read the thread, and are merely raising the subject to show that you are intolerant of the possibility of Haddock's nationality being British simply because it is that he might be British, not just that he may not be Belgian.
You have also "resigned" twice to the admins by e-mail, and yet re-enlisted under another name and complained that we had "banned" you - which in point of fact we never have, because we try to be inclusive and open to all.
So please bear in mind the forum rules and terms and conditions to which you agreed when you signed up - you don't show any inclination to play by them; please contribute in a constructive fashion to the life of the boards, rather than looking for opportunities to tear down the opinions of others; and understand that membership here is a privilege - not a right - and that our team has shown you more patience in the past than you have ever shown us.
Be civil. Be constructive. Or your posts will be deleted at the pre-moderation stage.
The Tintinologist Team
JJohannes
#60 · Posted: 17 Oct 2017 20:23
This is a tough question! The fact is that even in the original French-language version his name is Archibald Haddock, which is clearly an English name. His ancestor's name was however François de Hadoque, which is French but could easily have been translated from English (Jacobite theory mentioned earlier).

The Moulinsart castle/village represents the biggest problem. We can safely assume it is in Belgium, as the style of architecture, police uniforms, vehicles and other things point to that direction.

However, Wallonia region where it is supposedly located was part of Spain in the 17th century, when de Hadoque was supposed to have been gifted the estate by the Sun King.
How Louis XIV could have given de Hadoque an estate located in Spain, especially when Spain was no ally of France?
Or even if he could (as noble families sometimes had holdings in foreign countries), why would de Hadoque want to move there when he had been fighting the Spanish on the seas?

And would it be the other way around, that de Hadoque was genuinely French and at some point his descendants moved to England and the family was anglicized? Maybe Archibald was born in England/ Scotland but ended up working for a Belgian shipping company and was living in Belgium because of that? That's how he knew French.

The distinction between his family being either "Belgian" or "French" is by the way quite artificial. Walloons or French-speaking Belgians are practically French who moved there before there was "Belgium" or "France".

Page  Page 6 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!