Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Your least favourite Tintin book, and why?

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Eivind
#21 · Posted: 7 Feb 2015 15:04
Tintin in the Land of the Soviets and Tintin in the Congo.
I also find Tintin in America to be a rather low-quality album.
Hergé should have dropped a remake of Congo and America.
The quality only improved with Cigars of the Pharaoh, and even this album has some problems, like how Tintin arrived in India so quickly. Hergé should have worked more on Cigars when he made the colour version.
The Blue Lotus was the first really good album.
My definite favourite is The Secret of The Unicorn, which was also the first Tintin story I read.

Moderator Note: This post is wandering around a little - the exercise of this thread is to pick one specific book, and why; it's making it too easy just to dismiss two or three!
The Tidy Tintinologist Team
MT50446
#22 · Posted: 5 May 2015 18:37
It's all about opinions I know, but I am amazed that Tintin in America is on reader's lists of least favourite Tintin books.
It's my numero uno all time favourite.
For me, it has it all: a quirky story, great illustrations, fun - I love it!
I read it at least once a month.
Least favourite for me is The Casterfiore Emerald.
Karaboudjan
#23 · Posted: 19 May 2016 21:35
Apart from The Shooting Star, for fairly obvious reasons, I've never been a fan of Flight 714. It looks more like a Tintin imitation than an original, is brimming with horrible characters (yes, I count the appearance of Jolyon Wagg), and it's fatally undermined by the sci fi elements. Sci fi is ordinarily one of my favourite genres, but shoving it in the middle of Tintin is like having a zombie apocalypse in the Famous Five.

Herge said that the mockery of Rastapopoulos and Allan - the one in that daft outfit, the other getting his teeth knocked out - was intentional, but by making them seem ludicrous, he removed the threat. Surely the point of a good bad guy is he is to be feared! That, along with the lethargic quality of Tintin and the Picaros, suggests he'd grown sick of the series and his heart wasn't in it.
Furienna
#24 · Posted: 26 May 2016 20:17
Karaboudjan: But I feel that Rastapopoulos really was threatening in the beginning of the story. He had an airplane hijacked, almost had Snowy shot to death (Tintin and his friends really thought that he had died for a while) and had a truth serum used on Carreidas. But it would go downhill in the second half of the story. Then again, everything about this story went downhill in the second half. So as you can see, I agree with you that "Flight 714" has plenty of problems (even though I feel that it also has its merits). It is very much true also that Hergé was a bit bored of "Tintin" at this point, which is why there are so many weird things going on.
number1fan
#25 · Posted: 17 Jun 2016 20:51
Karaboudjan:
I've never been a fan of Flight 714. It looks more like a Tintin imitation than an original

I understand what you're saying and it's something I have thought about a lot. A far-fetched B-Movie Tintin perhaps?
I think I prefer the animated version than the book in some cases.

Am I cheating by putting Lake of Sharks as my least favorite book?
tintinforever
#26 · Posted: 17 Feb 2017 07:35
My least favourite book is Tintin and the Picaros -- I get the feeling Herge's heart wasn't in it. Also, some aspects of the book make little sense -- why is Alcazar, a revolutionary and a man of great personal strength and a formidably independent character, stuck in a subservient, somewhat corny hen-pecked role, married to what is ( presumably ) a somewhat stereotyped North American who nags him all the time? It is slapstick and it isn't consistent with earlier characterisation.

Overall, I do like the book (it is saved by the Arumbaya scenes) but it is not Herge's greatest moment.
belvisionfan
#27 · Posted: 17 Feb 2017 21:16
I think that I like almost every book but Seven Crystal Balls and Prisoners of the Sun.
They just never had the story that they could have had, and the convenience of the eclipse thing was just too crazy and unrealistic.

While it has its moments, the story is sort of missing something to me.
CaptainFatstock
#28 · Posted: 18 Feb 2017 02:52
Oh boy, my least favourite Tintin book. I like a lot of them, but Land of Black Gold just didn't really impress me. It is a decently good adventure, but I dunno.
BelgicatheBrave
#29 · Posted: 26 Feb 2017 04:58
I would have to say that although I love the story and the colors, I never cared for the fact that Hergé gave Tintin bell-bottomed jeans in Tintin and the Picaros. I felt like the bell bottoms made the book look more dated than if Hergé had just kept Tintin in the plus-fours. Besides: the plus-fours are Tintin's trademark!
iluvtintin
#30 · Posted: 11 Apr 2017 04:47
Karaboudjan:
I've never been a fan of Flight 714. It looks more like a Tintin imitation than an original

I agree. by this point I think he didn't wanna do it anymore, not to mention his art style had gotten better. But yeah, he wanted to move on.

BelgicatheBrave:
I never cared for the fact that Hergé gave Tintin bell-bottomed jeans

That's what he was trying do - he was trying to make Tintin updated.

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!