Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Tintin in the Land of the Soviets: Colour edition in January 2017

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

mcouzijn
#21 · Posted: 6 May 2018 13:32
I am sorry to say that the colorized version of Soviets doesn't include the well-known "missing page" 102 (or 100, depending on the edition you have).
That page was published in Le Petit Vingtème (Christmas edition 1929) but subsequently "forgotten" when the album was printed in 1930. Obviously, this was a mistake. The page fits the continuity of the story. On the last frame on page 101, Tintin opens the door of the cabin, and struggles with the storm outside. On the first frame of the missing page 102, Tintin reflects on his situation, and on the storm. Next, he encounters a jack-in-the-box skull, which gives him a bloody nose, and meets with a painting that falls on his head. In the first frame of page 103, Tintin still has that bloody nose.
Whence did he get it, the reader may ask, if page 102 is left out?

I really believe that Hergé wanted this original page to be included in the story. He was a perfectionist, as we all know. So why did Casterman leave the "missing page" out of the new release? I don't understand.
jock123
#22 · Posted: 6 May 2018 23:58
mcouzijn:
the well-known "missing page" 102 (or 100, depending on the edition you have)

I'm not sure which versions you are referring to here, but it doesn't actually appear as those pages in the copies I have to hand - in the first English facsimile, for example, it is included as page 97a; in the 1973 Archives Hergé it appears as page 140.

Sticking with 97a seems to be the best bet, as it therefore doesn't affect the order pages in editions in which it does or doesn't appear.

The whole numbering of the book is a minefield, as the facsimile editions place no page number on the first left-hand page, and put "1" on the right-hand page.
The "standard edition" which came out from Methuen makes the "first" page page 4, which was unusual in UK books, as it counts from the front cover (this has actually become more common in recent years, thanks to computer publishing software often defaulting to the cover being treated as page 1, whereas in the past the cover wasn't included in the numbering scheme).
The new standard French colour edition doesn't number the first (left-hand) page, and puts page 1 on the first right-hand page, in the manner of the facsimile, even though it would be (including the cover) page 11 in a strictly numerical sequence.

mcouzijn:
Obviously, this was a mistake.

Can we be certain of that? It's not difficult to overlook the jump, given the fact that the story isn't the most straight forward tale to begin with; the standard Methuen edition I have doesn't include it (although just to make things as clear as mud, it still has the editorial note at the front saying that it was previously omitted, and is inclided as 97A, which is just wrong), and I can't say I'm aware of any complaints that it's difficult to follow because Tintin gets a bloody nose (I mean, he loses a black eye early in the story between standing outside a tailor's shop, and going into the shop and being served - is that any more confusing?).

mcouzijn:
I really believe that Hergé wanted this original page to be included in the story.

It is absolutely fine for you to believe this, but I would need proof.
Hergé was responsible for getting the plates for the original book prepared, and supplying them to the publisher, so he must have been aware of its omission from the outset; perhaps the loss of a page made sense financially to him, if it reduced his overhead?
It was later damage to the printing plates, and Hergé being unable to afford new ones, which was one of the reasons that the book went out of print to begin with.
mcouzijn:
why did Casterman leave the 'missing page' out of the new release?

Well, if Hergé was the one disinclined to include it, and had authorized the removal in the original edition, then perhaps they didn't see it as appropriate to do so?

The page has been coloured, and was included as a bonus print in the deluxe numbered edition, which also featured an alternate colour cover design, so perhaps at some time it will be re-included.
ChinChin77
#23 · Posted: 18 Nov 2020 07:36
There's an English version of the colorized Tintin in the Land of the Soviets available digitally on Google Books.

However all I can find for sale online in hard copy is the French version.

Could someone link me to a resource where I can buy the English version?

Moderator Note: Hi, ChinChin77, and welcome to the forums! Sadly, at the moment at least, there is no English-language hard copy version of the colour Soviets available to buy, only the digital one as you say.
We have moved your post to this thread which discusses the subject, which you might find interesting to read.
Let's hope that one comes out in English some day! :-)
The Happy Tintinologist Team
OliBEL80
#24 · Posted: 27 Feb 2021 10:40
ChinChin77:
There's an English version of the colorized Tintin in the Land of the Soviets available digitally on Google Books.

Wait, there is a colorized version of Soviets? I missed that, and thought that the only version that exists is the black and white one, which is the one I bought a while ago in French.
jock123
#25 · Posted: 27 Feb 2021 11:12
OliBEL80:
Wait, there is a colorized version of Soviets?

Yes, and it's really nice. I realize that it won't be to everyone's taste, but the black-and-white version is still available too, so it's not like it's seeking to replace that, it's offering a choice, and may even bring readers - who might otherwise by-pass because of its lack of colour - to read and enjoy Soviets.

The one major regret at the moment is that as mentioned above, it still isn't available in an English print edition.
OliBEL80
#26 · Posted: 27 Feb 2021 15:43
Okay, thank you, I wasn't aware of it at all; I'll see if I find it next time I'm home in Belgium.
jock123
#27 · Posted: 27 Feb 2021 16:21
Cool - be sure to let us know what you think of it!
Its release was slightly curious in so far as they released it in 2017, before the 90th anniversary in 2019, and which might have seemed a more opportune moment to make the new release a memento of that.
Instead, the colorized version of the black-and-white Congo came out in 2019 (which wasn't released as a book, but as a digital edition and a box of prints).
busdriver450
#28 · Posted: 8 Mar 2021 21:23
Am I the only one who's quite happy with the black-and-white edition, and not fussed about a colour album being released?
jock123
#29 · Posted: 8 Mar 2021 22:52
busdriver450:
Am I the only one who's quite happy with the black-and-white edition

Probably not - I imagine that there are plenty of other people too. :-)
busdriver450:
and not fussed about a colour album being released?

I am sure that that's fine - the colour album isn't going to be everyone's taste, it's just an alternative for those who would like it.
But, given the attempts to produce unofficial colour versions over the years, and the discussions on here speculating about whether there ever would be an authorized colour version (e.g. here), it does appear to have been something that a lot of people did/ do want.
LeLotusBleu
#30 · Posted: 13 Oct 2021 01:49
Hi. First time posting.

Does anyone know if there's a translation for Philippe Goddin's preface to the limited edition?

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!