Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Other comics /

Comics in general: recommendations

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

jock123
#31 · Posted: 1 Mar 2018 16:35
mct16:
Izneo, a source of online comics, has now released the adventures of Asterix in English

Sadly not available in the U.K., though... :-(
mct16
#32 · Posted: 2 Mar 2018 19:03
jock123:
Sadly not available in the U.K., though... :-(

So it would appear. I'm sorry if I raised your hopes only to have them dashed.

I contacted Izneo about this and they replied that making a title or series available in certain countries depends upon the publishers, authors and other factors.

It does seem a bit strange given that it is published by Orion, a British-based company. Maybe contacting Orion may help make it available in the UK.
mct16
#33 · Posted: 30 Sep 2018 00:14
Izneo have now enabled payment in pound sterling. All you need is a PayPal account and you should be able to purchase French-language comics which have been translated into English.
mct16
#34 · Posted: 5 Dec 2018 14:31
Quite by chance, I recently came across the Slings & Arrows Graphic Novel Guide - the title says it all.

This website reviews English-language comics, not just Marvel and DC and independent US publishers, but also has an extensive range of European comics which have been translated into English by Cinebook or Papercutz, reviewing such series as Asterix, Blake and Mortimer, Lucky Luke, the Smurfs, XIII, Valerian and Laureline etc.

Needless to say, the adventures of Tintin are also reviewed.

It's an interesting site with very good reviews. If they encourage you to read the actual books, then these are available online from ComiXology or Izneo (see links above).
mct16
#35 · Posted: 9 May 2019 21:20
Izneo.com makes digital comics available online and its English version has launched a Premium subscription service.

Currently, at £6.49 a month, you can read over 1600 comics a month!

This subscription includes many classic Franco-Belgian comics translated into English such as "Billy & Buddy", "Blake & Mortimer", "Iznogoud", "Largo Winch", "Lucky Luke", "Spirou & Fantasio", "The Bluecoats", "Thorgal", "Valerian and Laureline", "XIII" and "Yakari".

There are also "The Incal" and "Before The Incal" by Jean Giraud aka Moebius.

I would also recommend more recent series such as "Alone", "Alpha", "Aldebaran", "Antares", "Betelgeuse", "The Survivors", "Carthago", "Carthago Adventures", "Cedric", "Game of Masks", "Lady S.", "Long John Silver", "The Scorpion" and "Wayne Shelton".

This offer also includes American comics such as "Archie", "Battlestar Galactica", "My Little Pony", "Star Trek", "Tank Girl" and "Transformers"; as well as several "Judge Dredd".

There are a number of volumes of "Popeye", but they do not appear to include the original Segar stories but those of his successors.
snowybella
#36 · Posted: 17 May 2019 01:50
I don't think this has been mentioned before, but the publishing company Rebellion have been re-publishing assorted comics from the Seventies. Recently, they've been doing lots of reprints from the comic-magazines aimed at girls (e.g. "Jinty" and "Misty").

In my opinion, the best three I'd recommend from this series are: Marney the Fox (hardback; from either "Buster" or "Cor!" (I don't have my copy at hand) about a fox, Tarka the Otter-style), Land of No Tears! and The Human Zoo (paperback; two stories in one), and Fran of the Floods (paperback; hasn't got the greatest cover but good story about the effects of climate change).

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!