Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

How many countries have you travelled to which Tintin visited?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Shivam302001
#11 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 04:42
Wow, the Soviet Union seems to be a thing of so long ago. I wonder, at present, whether visiting only Russia would account for a visit to the Soviet Union or do we have to visit all the countries that got liberated?
RicardoOlcese
#12 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 05:14
Shivam302001
I suppose only Russia would be enough. If I visit only Panjab, or Sindh, or Gujarat, or Mahratha, or Dravida, or Banga, in any case I could say "I have been to India".
Shivam302001
#13 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 06:59
RicardoOlcese

Firstly, please let me correct the names of places in India that you said. I think that you meant the states of Punjab, Gujarat, Maharashtra, West Bengal (I live here). By Dravida, I take that you meant Southern India, while Sindh is in Pakistan, so if you visit Sindh you will not be in India.

Secondly, I think you misunderstood my question. India is a country that still exists while Soviet Union doesn't. Take this example. Suppose you meant to travel to British India(before partition in 1947). Then visiting which country would account for a visit to British India- Pakistan, India or Bangladesh?
RicardoOlcese
#14 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 16:39
Shivam302001
I don't know if you're an Indian citizen. If you're, please take a look at a certain poem by Rabindranath Tagore and you'll find out why I chose those locations.
I suppose the most representative country for the USSR would be Russia. The capital was Moscow. Russian was the officially, widely spoken language, it was the biggest country composing the Union, etc. One can even think that the others, e.g. the Baltic countries, as "incorporated colonies".
Shivam302001
#15 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 17:09
RicardoOlcese

Yes, I am an Indian citizen and you took me by surprise when you quoted those places from our national anthem. It was originally written in Bengali, and was later its Hindi version was decided as the national anthem of our country.

But you see, Rabindranath Tagore wrote the poem long before India's independence and a lot has happened since then- partition, renaming of states. So, even though Sind was part of British India, now it is part of Pakistan (and a bit of Punjab and Kashmir). The same goes for Bangladesh (the greater part of 'Banga'). And the other states as I have said, been renamed.

So, I hope you understand, all the places don't belong to modern India and forgive me for not being able to understand your reference earlier.
RicardoOlcese
#16 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 18:44
Shivam302001
Wait a minute! Does Sondonesia really exist? I thought it was a funny name for Indonesia.
Shivam, being from India, is the depiction of an Indian princely state in Cigars accurate and realistic for that time? And do you know what happened to the Indian nobility after the Republic was instaured?
Shivam302001
#17 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 19:22
Sondonesia is a real country for us Tintin fans, bondhu.

I suppose, Herge showed the independent princely state of Gaipajama (literally meaning Cow's Pyjama) in a better light than in reality, where most of the princely states were mere puppets of the British Government.

Almost all the independent princely states joined the Republic of India, keeping in mind the collective welfare of all. So, after Independence, there were no official maharajahs anymore. But that didn't stop the royals from behaving like royals. I believe, you will find some maharajahs even now in India who harps on about their great ancestry, although officially they are just Indian citizens.
RicardoOlcese
#18 · Posted: 23 Feb 2019 19:56
Shivam302001
And how about the landscape Hergé uses for India? Like... jungle, elephants... I heard most of India is very dry actually. What part of India could it be with that weather? So as to guess the location of Gaipajama: north, south?
Also: the Mahraja of Gaipajama seems Hindu, or Muslim? I heard there were some princes who were Muslims, some others were Hindu. Can you somehow distinguish it by looking at how the Tintin character is depicted?
snowybella
#19 · Posted: 24 Feb 2019 01:49
RicardoOlcese

If the Maharajah was a Muslim, I don't think he would have allowed Snowy inside his palace.
RicardoOlcese
#20 · Posted: 24 Feb 2019 02:03
snowybella
Yes, that's quite true. But I think some Mughal rulers, who were Muslim, did have dogs to hunt. So, it all depends if the fellow was a devout or just a nominal Muslim. But you made a good point, Snowybella! I also think, remembering the black and white version, that no Muslim would like idols and sculptures in their tombs. So all points out the Mahraja was a Hindu prince. But let's wait for Mr. Shivam's super expert opinion.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!