Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Curious about Tintin? (Non-album specific) /

Your least favourite Tintin book, and why?

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

snowybella
#31 · Posted: 10 Jul 2017 02:43
My least favourite is Tintin in the Congo, for obvious reasons and the poor animals that Tintin hunted. At least the rhino was given a second chance after the Scandinavian publishers asked him to redraw that page...

tintinagalog:
Among the three, it's Soviets, because it's not artistically impressive. How I wish Studios Hergé could produce a coloured version!

And it seems that your wish has been granted!
Furienna
#32 · Posted: 13 Mar 2019 16:31
Furienna:
For me, it has to be "Tintin in Congo".

Well, I have now change my mind and choose "Soviets" as my least favorite.
Because as much as I hate the slaughtering of animals in "Congo", the rest of the story is okayish and does exist in color.

"Soviets" though is in black and white, which is terribly boring.
snowybella
#33 · Posted: 14 Mar 2019 00:48
Furienna:
"Soviets" though is in black and white, which is terribly boring

Off-topic, but there is a colour version avalible, in French and Dutch.
Furienna
#34 · Posted: 16 Mar 2019 12:13
snowybella
snowybella:
Off-topic, but there is a colour version avalible, in French and Dutch.

I see. But I don't speak neither French nor Dutch, so I have to stick with black and white.
Shivam302001
#35 · Posted: 28 Mar 2019 20:25
My least favourite album must be Tintin in the Congo. Yes, Tintin was killing animals for fun, yes, he was treating the natives badly, but what I disliked the most was that... no I think that just about covers all the points.
Furienna
#36 · Posted: 30 Mar 2019 01:48
Shivam302001:
My least favourite album must be Tintin in the Congo. Yes, Tintin was killing animals for fun, yes, he was treating the natives badly, but what I disliked the most was that... no I think that just about covers all the points.

Just a quick question: how exactly did Tintin treat the natives badly? He cured a man with a fever and was a substitute teacher in a school, and he was genuinely helpful with what he could do for them at the time.
Shivam302001
#37 · Posted: 30 Mar 2019 15:45
That train incident when Tintin crashed the natives' train and rebuked them for not lifting it themselves, instead of giving them a helping hand to lift it. It somehow left a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't think he would have helped the natives if he weren't their king or if the Father had not asked him to.
mct16
#38 · Posted: 30 Mar 2019 19:40
I think that Tintin is good-hearted enough to help people regardless of his position; and it is he who offers to handle the lesson at the missionary.
jock123
#39 · Posted: 31 Mar 2019 12:21
mct16:
it is he who offers to handle the lesson at the missionary.

I'm not certain that a white-centric, paternalistic lesson from an imperialist telling the locals how lucky they are to be occupied and exploited by colonials is really such a benefit to them, in all honesty...
mct16
#40 · Posted: 31 Mar 2019 22:40
I was thinking of the colour version in which he gives a maths lesson.

Page  Page 4 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!