Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / The Members Lounge /

The Chronicles of Narnia, by C.S. Lewis

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

dreamdust
#11 · Posted: 25 Mar 2009 08:02
I love the Narnia series! I thought that The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was overall a better movie than Prince Caspian. It's soundtrack and cinematography was simply magical. But they're both amazing.

My favourite Narnia book is The Dawn Treader.
cigars of the beeper
#12 · Posted: 25 Mar 2009 18:44
Well, it is true that the movie of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was closer to the book than Prince Caspian was, but I like them equally well, and will be glad when the Voyage is released next December.
Shivam302001
#13 · Posted: 6 Jan 2019 18:26
I purchased the whole collected volume of the Chronicles of Narnia during the book fair in my city last year. Although I am not a very big fan of fantasy (Harry Potter huh?), I quite liked the first six books in the series, while The Last Battle almost ruined the series for me (although I liked the conclusion). My favourites would be The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the Horse and His Boy.

The first few books were pretty adventurous, although I believe in the Last Battle, C.S.Lewis had tried to make Narnia too similar to the real world and hence made it lose its charm.

Also, I felt the author was holding up Christian principles and made the antagonists, the Calormen, strikingly similar to the Muslims which I do not like at all.

But apart from these small defects, I found the Chronicles of Narnia a world (a past world really) quite stimulating. Personally, I would'nt mind meeting up with Puddleglum if given the chance.

I tried to watch the movie adaptations but found it too far from my taste (although the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was ok for me), so sue me!
Leze Mary Casey
#14 · Posted: 7 Jul 2019 11:06
Milou is a Narnian talking dog, there is no doubt about that.
Furienna
#15 · Posted: 12 Jul 2019 17:54
Shivam302001:
Also, I felt the author was holding up Christian principles and made the antagonists, the Calormen, strikingly similar to the Muslims which I do not like at all.

Well... these books were written in the 1950s, when what we call racial stereotypes today still were quite acceptable.
Shivam302001
#16 · Posted: 12 Jul 2019 18:37
Furienna
And yet we keep on harping about the stereotypes found in Tintin, right?
Furienna
#17 · Posted: 12 Jul 2019 20:31
Shivam302001:
And yet we keep on harping about the stereotypes found in Tintin, right?

Really, I personally cut Hergé lots of slack too. He and CS wrote their works in a different era with different values, and there was no way for them to know what people in the future would think.
Shivam302001
#18 · Posted: 15 Jul 2019 07:18
Oscar winning director of Coco, Mathhew Aldrich has been roped in as the creative supervisor of the Chronicles of Narnia franchise currently in development by Netflix. According to Mr.Gresham, C.S.Lewis's grandson, Netflix is producing a movie series as well as an episodic venture which would help to realise the true potential of this franchise on the silver screen like never before.

Perhaps it is apt to mention that it is the first time that a studio holds the rights to all the seven books of the series. The potential is limitless but only time will tell how it will pan out.

What do the others think? How should Netflix approach the series? Movie adaptations of the books and a web series to flesh out the universe?
mct16
#19 · Posted: 19 Jul 2019 19:43
Shivam302001:
series to flesh out the universe

Does that mean elaborating on events left ambiguous in the novels? such as storylines that take place in Narnia between the novels but which are left completely to the screenwriter's imagination? or elaborating on plot holes, such as how Shift the monkey involves the Calormen in his takeover of Narnia (in "The Last Battle")?

If that is the case, then I am not sure that I would welcome it. I do not always enjoy the way in which a writer sometimes expands on characters or events which the original author skipped over or left ambiguous. I've often thought that such sub-plots encourage a reader's imagination, giving him something to ponder about, let his imagination wander, and even get to discuss with friends or on the internet like we do here.

I've read today that DC intend to do something similar with Alan Moore's "Watchmen", but Moore himself will not be involved. It does not feel right somehow not to involve the original writer (especially given that this one is still alive).

My motto has been: if you enjoy the book then avoid the film. That has applied to "Harry Potter", "The Lord of the Rings" and even adaptations of "Tintin" books. I did not like the way in which the 2011 movie had Sakharine as the villain when Herge had him as a decent, if annoying, man whom Tintin unjustly kept suspecting of being a crook.

I suppose that it depends on the director, screenwriter and actor, but very often they fail to capture the essence of a story or character as depicted by the original writer or how the readers imagine them while enjoying the original books.
Shivam302001
#20 · Posted: 14 Feb 2020 15:38
mct16:
Does that mean elaborating on events left ambiguous in the novels?

No, what I meant was that the series could be used to show the day to day life of the characters a little better which often gets dumped under the more heavy plot points that the movies tend to deal with. It could also be used to build up to a major event that would eventually occur in the movies, like what Marvel is doing with it's Disney+ series. Or it could just as well be an animated rendering. However, taking into account that this purported Narnia universe is developing at the same pace as Jackson's Tintin film, it would surely be a while until we can find out what they are trying to go with this.

mct16:
I suppose that it depends on the director, screenwriter and actor, but very often they fail to capture the essence of a story or character as depicted by the original writer or how the readers imagine them while enjoying the original books.

That is understandable as all purists say the same thing about any book adaptation into the silver screen. I also wasn't very pleased with Spielberg's movie, what with the Captain's accent and Tintin's odd matter-of-fact attitude that I could not place in any book. But we must understand that it is Spielberg's rendition of Tintin, not Herge's. True, there are always some movies that amuse purists as well as the casual fans, but none of them adhere word by word or frame by frame to any book. That would just take out the necessity to indulge in a fresh adaptation of the character in the silver screen because do what they may, the original books would always be held in higher regard. So in these cases, we must pardon some artistic liberties that the writers have taken to bring the characters on to the silver screen. One may like it or simply distaste it, it is just a matter of how flexible you are.

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!