The Shooting Star
- Tintin © Hergé/Moulinsart.
Original French title
First published in Le Soir between 20/10 1941 and 21/5 1942.
The book appeared in 1942.
1961 - Methuen (London).
1978 - Magnet (London). Paperback.
1990 - Mammoth (London). Reprint of the 1978 Magnet edition. 62p. ISBN: 0749704616.
"It's the END of the WORLD!" declares Professor Phostle, as an enormous star hurtles towards the earth. But he is disappointed - the star brushes past, leaving only a vast meteorite which falls in the Arctic waters. However, there is no mistake about the Professor's discovery of a valuable new metal in the meteorite; it is worth a colossal fortune, and in a hazardous search in polar regions Tintin, Snowy and Captain Haddock encounter some of their strangest adventures. [AR]
- Page 2: the door bell that is first seen in frame 6 disappears in frame 9 (but reappears again in frames 11 to 14).
- Page 4: the long focal distance of the telescope will only make anything on the lense invisible, not magnified.
- Page 21: Captain Haddock's sleeve cuff stripes change in number - see frames 4 and 10.
- Cameo: page 20, frame 8: Quick and Flupke leading the way.
- Cameo: page 21, frame 2: Scientist, Auguste Piccard (first from the right).
- In 1954 Hergé changed the original flag of the competing expedition from the American flag to the flag of Sao Rico. [BP, page 71] The American flag can still be seen on page 35, frame 7:
- Image © Hergé/Moulinsart.
Title in other languages:
- Basque - Izar misteriotsua
- Bengali - Ulka Rahasya (Literal meaning: The mystery of asteroid.)
- Breton - Ar sveredenn gevrinus
- Catalan - L'estel misterios
- Chinese - 神秘的流星 (Shen mi de liu xing)
- Danish - Den mystiske stjerne
- Dutch - De geheimzinnige ster
- Faeroese - hin gátuføra stjørnan
- Farsi/Persian - Sitarihyi asrar amiz
- Finnish - Salaperäinen Tähti
- Galician - A estrela misteriosa
- German - Der geheimnisvolle Stern
- Greek - To mystiriódes ástro
- Hebrew - Kochav Ha'shavit
- Hungarian - A titokzatos csillag
- Icelandic - Dularfulla stjarnan
- Indonesian - Bintang jatuh [Indira edition title] / Bintang Misterius [Gramedia edition title]
- Italian - La stella misteriosa
- Japanese - ふしぎな流れ星 Hushigina nagare boshi
- Korean - Shinbi-eui Puol
- Lëtzburgesch - Den onheemleche stär
- Portuguese - A estrela misteriosa
- Russian - Zagadochnaya zvezda
- Spanish - Le estrella misteriosa
- Swedish - Den mystiska stjärnan
- Turkish - Esrarengiz yildiz
- Sao bâng