Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

The Broken Ear: Explanation of plot

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

GurraJG
#1 · Posted: 10 Jun 2004 15:33
I just re-read this album, but for some reason, I can't quite figure out the whole story, so I have some questions:

1.) Who originally steals the fetish from the museum? Is it Balthazar or Tortilla?

2.) How did the diamond get into the fetish?

3.) How did Alonzo and Rodrigo know of the diamond?

-Gustav
pauldurdin
Moderator Emeritus
#2 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 02:18
1.) Who originally steals the fetish from the museum? Is it Balthazar or Tortilla?

Balthazar, who was subsequently killed by Tortilla and made to look like a suicide.

2.) How did the dimond get into the fetish?

It was, I suppose, 'built in' by the original creators of the fetish, the Arumbaya Indians.

3.) How did Alonzo and Rodrigo know of the dimond?

Rodrigo Tortilla must have heard it from Lopez, and Alonzo from Tortilla. The actual relationship between Tortilla and Perez+Bada isn't really explained, which does make the history a bit of a guessing game.

Paul
GurraJG
#3 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 10:03
Oh, okay, thanks, Paul.

-Gustav
tybaltstone
#4 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 12:51
I'd always assumed the diamond was inside the fetish from some previous smuggling operation, but then how would it be in the museum unless it had been stolen (and swapped) before? (Which is perfectly possible). I must admit I'd never really given it much thought. It's almost a McGuffin.

Now I think you must be right, Paul, because when Alonso and Ramón finally get their hands on it, Alonso says: "But the diamond... where is it?" as if he were expecting it to perhaps be embedded in the fetish, like a gem for an eye or something. Ramón says "It must be somewhere inside..." (well, "Eet must be somewhere inside."!)
Big Ren
#5 · Posted: 11 Jun 2004 19:37
GurraJG
How did the diamond get into the fetish?

Guys, read the first four frames of page 53 and all will be explained!
tybaltstone
#6 · Posted: 12 Jun 2004 00:22
Big Ren:
Guys, read the first four frames of page 53

What, you mean actually go and look at the book?!?
Oh yes. I see.
OJG
#7 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 19:32
pauldurdin:
Balthazar, who was subsequently killed by Tortilla and made to look like a suicide.

Balthazar stole the fetish??? I thought that was Lopez or Tortilla? Wasn't Balthazar just the carver?

But how did the gemstone actually get put inside the fetish?
MoonRocket
#8 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 22:32
OJG:
But how did the gemstone actually get put inside the fetish?

When the Arumbayas gave the fetish to Walker, some of Walker's men took a diamond and stuck it inside the fetish to smuggle it back home.
OJG
#9 · Posted: 11 Jan 2005 23:14
MoonRocket:
some of Walker's men took a diamond and stuck it inside the fetish

Yes, but how can you physically put a gemstone inside the fetish without breaking it in some way?
The only sign of a break was the ear, and that can't be it.
Harrock n roll
#10 · Posted: 12 Jan 2005 00:50
I thought I'd attempt to answer some of the questions raised here and in a sister post started by harishankar - and maybe help put it to bed.

1) How did the diamond get into the fetish?

It was hidden there by Lopez, an interpreter on the Walker expedition.

2) Who originally steals the fetish from the museum? Is it Balthazar or Tortilla?

Tortilla steals the Fetish from the museum. Balthazar had been employed by him to make a replica which Tortilla would send back to the museum to replace the stolen one.

3) How did Tortilla know of the existence of the diamond stone? How did Alonso and Ramòn know of the diamond?

From a note written by Lopez which Tintin discovers in Alonso's pocket (page 55). The note reads: "I am dying ... Walker expedition ... the diamond ... in the fetish... the broken ear, Lopez". As Alonso explains, Tortilla was a fellow passenger on their way to Europe and dropped this note. They only realised it's significance when they read about the fetish being stolen from the museum. We don't find out how Tortilla came by the note.

4) Why did Balthazar create a second fake fetish?

Not explained but perhaps being an artist he wanted to have a copy for himself?

5) Why does Tortilla make the mistake of taking away the fake one and leave behind the original in Balthazar's flat?

Also not explained but it's pretty dumb of Tortilla, especially as he knew that the original had a broken ear (from the note).

As to how Lopez physically hid the diamond inside the fetish and it ended up in the museum - use your imagination!

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!