Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Red Rackham: Which church were they in, originally?

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

cigee
#21 · Posted: 6 Jan 2012 15:35
Just to build on what Szut wrote (BTW, Bienvenue Szut. He was always my favorite "minor" character), when I was young and reading Enid Blyton novels in French, all names was changed to French names, and the settings were moved from Great Britain to France. So, it's seems to be a very common thing to do in children's literature.
mct16
#22 · Posted: 6 Jan 2012 17:49
Changing names and fictional locations like the English "Duckburg" into the French "Donaldville" makes sense, but what we are discussing here are real-life locations and events being changed to suit local readership, like a church in Rome being switched for an abbey in London, or François de Hadoque serving Charles II of England instead of Louis XIV of France.

Hopefully this has become less and less necessary nowadays. For instance, most manga retain the original Japanese names and locations when translated into English or French.
Harrock n roll
#23 · Posted: 7 Jan 2012 01:57
mct16:
what we are discussing here are real-life locations and events being changed to suit local readership

I'm sorry mct16, but "real life events" I'm afraid sounds completely ridiculous. It's as if you're trying to say that Tintin is real but Donald Duck isn't. I don't see Szut's post less relevant as an example of things being changed to "suit local readership".

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!