Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Explorers on the Moon: Ice on the Moon?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

astaprod
#1 · Posted: 19 Jun 2006 22:06
When Snowy falls down the abyss in the cave on the moon, he goes sliding down a sheet of ice. How can there be ice on the moon?
jock123
#2 · Posted: 20 Jun 2006 09:29
If you Google on the topic of ice on the Moon, you will find plenty of theories and pieces of evidence about its existence; this article, for example suggests it might be the remains of comets.

Hergé consulted with astronomers and researched the ideas scientists had about the Moon while creating the adventures; it is interesting that his information has proved to be so good.
tybaltstone
#3 · Posted: 20 Jun 2006 15:14
It used to be said that Hergé got a lot scientifically correct about his moon adventure except for the ice on the moon. Then a few years ago scientists discovered there actually was ice on the moon and so Tintin made the news again because of that. (I've still got the news article I cut out somewhere, complete with accompanying Tintin picture).
astaprod
#4 · Posted: 20 Jun 2006 17:47
Thanks for the feedback. I knew that Hergé was always very thorough in his research, but this one just kept gnawing at me...
Jorgen221
#5 · Posted: 23 Jun 2006 04:49
I always found it ironic that Tintin was looking at stalactites and stalagmites and remarking that "at some period there was water on the Moon" and then discovering the ice not long after, proving that the water (albeit frozen) is still there.
Eugene
#6 · Posted: 26 Jul 2006 23:00
Herge also knew that the stars wouldn't twinkle like they appear to on earth, due to lack of atmosphere.
Rocky
#7 · Posted: 24 Sep 2009 12:35
Another story that shows Herge was right:
Damp patch found on Moon
mondrian
#8 · Posted: 24 Sep 2009 16:59
According to Michael Farr, the water on the moon (the moon of Explorers) was there because of advice from Bernard Heuvelmans.
cigars of the beeper
#9 · Posted: 24 Sep 2009 17:48
Seeing that water is a very common and easily-formed compound, made of two common elements, it is really not surprising that it should be present on the moon or other planets. One theory of the moon's origin says that it was formed from pieces of the earth that were thrown out into space in a collision. Therefore, the moon is made of things which can be found on earth.
number1fan
#10 · Posted: 25 Sep 2009 17:35
Check this out: the recent Indian lunar research team have fount evidence of water on the Moon. How long before some American company bottles it and sells it?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!