Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Should it be completed?

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

jock123
#11 · Posted: 18 Jan 2007 11:08
stuart
bringing in another writer to finish off Hergé's work is not the same thing at all. I would just rather have an officially-sanctioned and carefully worked on finished Alph-Art instead of the pirates which will in time become legal to publish.
Unfortunately you can't have one without the other; if they wanted to finish Alph-Art, they would have to bring in another author/ artist to complete it, as Hergé never provided an ending, and even allowing for the notes and hints he may have left, his process was organic, so who knows what new ideas might have hit him en route to the conclusion? If indeed he didn't decide to dump it and do another book entirely...

It might be argued that if you could find the person or people capable of this that they might be better to write a new book or books anyway, given that it might be seen as easier - but that then returns to the start of the circle, with the argument against new writers doing books...

I agree though that it is certainly a dilemma - how to retain fidelity to Hergé, his wishes and his work, yet guarding the legacy against the inevitable erosion of the property when the copyright expires.

It may be of course that they can get some sort of extension such as Walt Disney (the company not the man) argued for over Mickey Mouse & Cº (although that ruling is being challenged).
Duke Snowy
#12 · Posted: 17 Feb 2007 23:15
I think it would be great if a committee of writers and artists (all Tintin enthusiasts) were commissioned by Herge's estate to create an official version of Alph-Art as well as other new books in the series. To be successful, the art work and writing quality would have to equal Herge's classics (Unlike "Lake of Sharks" which did not live up to Herge's artwork or writing). I would think a committee of fans who love Herge's work could collectively produce a homage that even Herge would approve of. After all, a little of Herge is in all of his fans. And if an official version of Alph-Art were commissioned, Rodier should be invited to participate and also given an opportunity to polish the rough edges of his commendable "pirate" version. Rodier had many great ideas in addition to honoring Herge's rough draft. I thought Miss Martine asking Tintin for a date in the airport at the end of Rodier's Alph-Art was a great idea. In the new series of official sequels she should come back as Tintin's girlfriend! For some reason I think Herge would approve.
number1fan
#13 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 14:39
I agree there should be tintin adventures based on herges adventures of tintin if only that is not very likely to happen.
jock123
#14 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 15:33
Duke Snowy
To be successful, the art work and writing quality would have to equal Herge's classics (Unlike "Lake of Sharks" which did not live up to Herge's artwork or writing). I would think a committee of fans who love Herge's work could collectively produce a homage that even Herge would approve of. After all, a little of Herge is in all of his fans.
Bear in mind that Lake of Sharks was written by Greg, the editor of the Tintin magazine, and a friend of Hergé, and the art was over-seen by Bob de Moor, the closest collaborator of Hergé, in tandem with the studio - more or less what you are asking for to be done now, only probably even more qualified, and it didn't work to everyone's satisfaction (personally I like Lake of Sharks!).
If they couldn't capture the spirit of Hergé, then I doubt that an ad hoc group of fans could really do much better. And to be honest I think it is wishful thinking to think that Hergé would approve - he didn't want the books to continue, so they are probably best left alone if Hergé's approval is a consideration.
Duke Snowy
#15 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 16:02
You are probably correct about Hergé not approving and it was wishful thinking on my part. However, I did not have an "ad hoc group of fans" in mind by any means. I was referring to professional artists and writers. They can be fans too and I would think they would have to be fans to be willing to undertake the task of writing and drawing Tintin.

I am probably too critical of "Lake of Sharks", however I see it as an attempt to modernize Tintin and I feel that same objective (modernizing) detracted from "Picaros". I believe Tintin should be a period piece and not brought into the 21st century (or the 1970's, 80's or 90's for that matter). Also "Lake of Sharks" is a live action cartoon first and a book second and that is evident in the art which differs from Hergé style.
jockosjungle
#16 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 19:08
I think a committee ending Alph Art wouldn't do much of a job either. Most authors leave a work unfinished when they die, why should Herge be any different?

R
Duke Snowy
#17 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 20:02
I agree with you that when the author of a newspaper comic passes away, his work is not picked up by others. However Tintin transcended newspaper comics into comic books, and the legacy of successful comic book series are almost always carried on by other authors after the departure of their creator.
jock123
#18 · Posted: 18 Feb 2007 22:44
Duke Snowy
I did not have an "ad hoc group of fans" in mind by any means. I was referring to professional artists and writers.
I take that on board - what I was getting at was that those involved in Lake of Sharks were exactly that - a group of highly respected professionals, all working with and knowing Hergé, and all of whom should be considered Tintin fans, and yet the end product was not to the satisfaction of all.

I think your interpretation of Tintin as a period piece is an interesting example of why such a project would almost certainly be difficult if not impossible to achieve: it wasn't ever originated that way, and it certainly was drawn as reflecting current times to when the books were published, and indeed often mirrored contemporary events. Surely the only faithful way to proceed would be to create adventures in the 21st Century? To do otherwise would to some be as retrograde a step as giving Tintin jeans or taking his quiff away, or not having art in the Hergé style.
binbin
#19 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 02:56
I for one do not think so.

I think that Picaros although not one of my favourite books, was the best closure on the series. All the characters are there, Haddock's off the grog, Alcazar finally achieves his goal, and the panel with Alcazars troops patrolling a poverty stricken area sums it up. Nothing has been acheived through Tintin's endeavours. He always saves the day and tries to make justice for all but there's always a negative. That's probaly not the interpretation that Herge implied but I saw it that way.

Alph-Art really didn't appeal to me as a great Tintin book. Perhaps if Herge had come out with it earlier I would change my mind, but it seems to much of a hybrid between The Black Island and Castafiore Emerald. The plot seemed a bit tired. But is there anyone who disagrees?

And more interstingly, how do you think it would have panned out? This probaly sounds like a lame ending but I always interpret the book how it starts. In the very next panel Tintin wakes up and realises it's all a dream :)
Tintinrulz
#20 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 03:09
If it all was a dream it would be the biggest disappointment and a huge cliche.
I would have loved for Herge to finish Alph-art before he died but it didn't happen. Personally I find the premise to be interesting and different and if it were completed it may have been one of the better Tintin books.
The unfinished ending has always haunted me though.

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!