Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Alph-Art: Should it be completed?

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

zazoentje
#21 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 09:47
I love it how it is, it give's us a perfect closure, Tintin trapped forever, A statue, a symbol.

That's what so great is about the last unfinished Tintin, it shows us tintin in it's most pure form, naked and what Tintin will become in the future long after Hergé's dead.

Cause it's never finished its is just so great. Also tintin dicovering art in it, he is looking for himself as art but never actually find his self cause he is art and can never be real, becoming art on the very last pages. I think Hergé knew he would never end the story,it's his closure, how he wanted it,Tintin becoming a symbol of the 9 th art.
binbin
#22 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 09:52
I like that analogy! Spooky, but it's a nice one.
cigars of the beeper
#23 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 17:40
I would love to see that book finished! The storyline is very exciting and full of promises, and it has the same spirit of adventure that some of the earlier adventures had, which was kind of lost in the later books. I really like the whole mystery thing. This was probably the biggest detective story Tintin was ever involved in. I wish Herge had lived longer!
robbo
#24 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 19:30
I have both the original and the latest published versions of the Tintin and Alph-Art, but in my opinion they are hard work to follow.
One idea would be to print the text in bubbles on acetate, so they lay over the original drawings, and at least it could be read with the progression and movement of a normal Tintin album.

It is because of these frustrations that I certainly wish Herge had finished the book. On the other hand, though not counting as a proper Tintin book, it would be nice for a high quality authorised version to be commissioned using the most talented artists available, in the standard colour album format. I think there is enough of the storyboard for this to be possible.

And more importantly it would sell like hotcakes!
Captain Chester
#25 · Posted: 3 Sep 2008 20:13
robbo:
And more importantly it would sell like hotcakes!

That would make Moulinsart happy.
cigars of the beeper
#26 · Posted: 8 Sep 2008 17:44
robbo:
it would be nice for a high quality authorised version to be commissioned using the most talented artists available, in the standard colour album format.

What I think they should do, is that they put out a high-quality color version that still ends where the unfinished version begins.
robbo
#27 · Posted: 8 Sep 2008 20:24
cigars of the beeper:
What I think they should do, is that they put out a high-quality color version that still ends where the unfinished version begins.

Eh? That sounds like a riddle to me, cigars of the beeper!

If it ends where the existing one begins what precisely does it consist of?
ZGDK
#28 · Posted: 7 Oct 2008 00:08
I think it should stay unfinished, I think Herge knew he would never finish it so he purposely wrote it as a symbolic ending having Tintin become engulfed by what he is: art.
The Blue Lotus
#29 · Posted: 10 Oct 2008 01:45
I too, like the ending of Tintin preserved as art forever! Of course I would have liked it to be completed as it would mean one extra Tintin book, but I didn't really like the story too much, or the fact that there were about a dozen recurring characters turning up throughout the book.

As for Rodier's version, it's not bad, but the art is pretty poor when you look at it closely, and his version of the unfinished third of the story isn't great.
robbo
#30 · Posted: 10 Oct 2008 17:16
The Blue Lotus:
As for Rodier's version, it's not bad, but the art is pretty poor when you look at it closely, and his version of the unfinished third of the story isn't great.

You are right about the art work Blue Lotus, the ink line does not have any subtlety and there is no consistency in the way Tintin or Captain Haddock are drawn. The compositions of the frames have no imagination or much to hold the attention. It is noteworthy that one of the few decently composed frames - a lively depiction of a busy Brussels street, is one of the few that Herge worked into a complete pencil drawing. And as for the colour - it's awfull!

Page  Page 3 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!