Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Castafiore Emerald: where were the scissors found?

marsbar
#1 · Posted: 29 Oct 2006 06:03
A query from a reader:
There seems to be a mistake in the plot of "The Castafiore Emerald". Miarka is never shown returning the scissors or telling Tintin where she found them. But in page 61 Tintin knows that the scissors were found under the tree. Is this the case or have I missed something? -Sid
Harrock n roll
#2 · Posted: 29 Oct 2006 16:27
I don’t see it as a mistake, rather a matter of ‘reading between the frames’. We have to assume that Tintin - who was convinced of the gypsies’ innocence - had either spoken to the Thompsons (who had been holding them for questioning), or obtained the information from somewhere else so that he could conduct his own investigation. That’s my reading of it anyway.
yamilah
#3 · Posted: 30 Oct 2006 13:25
The clue is given by the interviewed Thompsons in The Emerald (p.50-A1):

'Not only did we discover a pair of scissors belonging to Signora Castafiore...'

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!