Tintin Forums

Tintinologist.org Forums / Official Tintin books /

Prisoners of the Sun: A different "Temple du Soleil" book?

number1fan
#1 · Posted: 9 Sep 2007 20:24
Does anyone know exactly what this version of Le Temple du Soleil is?
Mikael Uhlin
#2 · Posted: 9 Sep 2007 20:46
It's the original version of the story, as published in Tintin magazine.
mct16
#3 · Posted: 10 Sep 2007 13:22
If it is the original from Tintin magazine then it will have a number of scenes that do not appear in the more commonly available one. These include:

1. Tintin, walking to Marlinspike, is so engrossed by a newspaper report of recent events that he misses a plank of wood and falls into a river.

2. While waiting for Zorrino near the bridge in Peru, Tintin and Haddock meet the mysterious Indian who gave Tintin the medallion. He smiles at Haddock's insults with the words "Anger is bad for one's health, senhor."

3. While walking through the mountains, Haddock discovers a skull mounted on a pole. A terrified Zorrino says that it is a warning that he is under sentence of death for guiding foreigners to the Temple of the Sun.

4. During their trek through the jungle, Tintin shoots a jaguar as it leaps towards them, and Zorrino strikes a snake with a stick when it attempts to bite Haddock.

5. Haddock discovers - and pockets - gold nuggets in the Inca's cave behind the waterfall. He is later forced to give up the gold in order to get through the hole into the Inca tomb.
jock123
#4 · Posted: 10 Sep 2007 14:13
mct16
If it is the original from Tintin magazine then it will have a number of scenes that do not appear in the more commonly available one.
Yes, it contains all the episodes of the original magazine publication, in landscape format, as that is how the magazine ran the serialization. It even has the headings and the "Who Were the Incas?"-type bits that were used some weeks, and is really interesting as a result.
It's been out quite a few years (I bought my copy when there was a second Tintin Shop in Sloane St., and that was quite a time ago), and I think it has had a couple of printings, as it sometimes has a slip-case.
number1fan
#5 · Posted: 10 Sep 2007 14:33
I pressume its in its orginal french laungage and not in english?.
Mikael Uhlin
#6 · Posted: 10 Sep 2007 21:04
mct16 wrote: If it is the original from Tintin magazine then it will have a number of scenes that do not appear in the more commonly available one.

I've read somewhere that more than 300 frames were removed when this episode was edited down to the common album.

number1fan wrote: I pressume its in its orginal french laungage and not in english?.

Oui!
mct16
#7 · Posted: 13 Sep 2007 15:41
I've read somewhere that more than 300 frames were removed when this episode was edited down to the common album.

I only mentioned some of the scenes that were taken out when it was published in the common album. If I had noted ALL the differences between the publications the server may have collapsed.

Still it is interesting to compare the two and I think that there is a case for publishing it in English.
Mikael Uhlin
#8 · Posted: 14 Sep 2007 20:28
mct16 wrote: I only mentioned some of the scenes that were taken out when it was published in the common album. If I had noted ALL the differences between the publications the server may have collapsed.

Yeah, I thought so. I didn't mean to critize you, I just wanted to add some info.
To Be Precise
#9 · Posted: 4 Jan 2008 17:29
I just bought this from the Tintin Shop in London, and it is terrific. I have the version with the slipcase. A really nice Tintin 'artefact'. I'd love to see it translated into English.

Please be sure to familiarize yourself with the Forum Posting Guidelines.

Disclaimer: Tintinologist.org assumes no responsibility for any content you post to the forums/web site. Staff reserve the right to remove any submitted content which they deem in breach of Tintinologist.org's Terms of Use. If you spot anything on Tintinologist.org that you think is inappropriate, please alert the moderation team. Sometimes things slip through, but we will always act swiftly to remove unauthorised material.

Forgot password
Please log in to post. No account? Create one!